Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 brass anyone???
 Login/Join

posted
need some brass.none for sale anywhere that I can find..I have a p dog hunt coming up with my son and need to get some reloaded SOON!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked EBay? Seems like somebody there always has some up for bid.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No word as of yet.
I would seriously consider getting another caliber geared up because I can tell you it won't be anytime too soon.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is tons on Ebay

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of 204 brass on ebay is right!!!

204 brass

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of that Ebay brass is relodable. I've heard there are metalurgy problems with the first batch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph Hyrlik-- Please list the exact metalurgy problems you have "heard" about.

I ordered and received 1,000 WW casings from Midway USA. The only thing "slightly abnormal" about them that I noticed, was that I had to trim them to about 1.8385" to get the case necks perfectly even at the top. Of course, you all know that 1.840" is the SAAMI trim length.

My once-fired Hornady casings are all being trimmed to about 1.8425"--the length of the shortest casing. I used the Sinclair chamber length gage to measure my chamber and it is 1.877" long. I could let my casings grow for a LOOOOOONG time before I really would have to trim them, but I like uniform casing lengths, so I trim them.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They are right, lots of brass on ebay. Lots of very EXPENSIVE brass on ebay (supply and demand Smiler)

Once you check out the ebay price, you may want to consider buying factory rounds (assuming your 204 likes the 32's, as the factory 40 rounds are near impossible to find around here).

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
The metalurgy problems I have heard about are that 10% of the necks split on the second reload.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph Hyrlik-- Thanks for the information. I haven't fired any of my WW .204 casings yet, so I'll be watching very closely for the split neck problem when I do go to the range.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:
They are right, lots of brass on ebay. Lots of very EXPENSIVE brass on ebay (supply and demand Smiler)

You wanta see expensive brass, check out the cost of 45-3¼" sharps straight brass from MAST Technology(Bell)....$237 per 100!!!!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Silverfox, would it be possible to mention the particulars about your barrel/chamber? Why it is so long?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BrassmanBrass.com has once fired Hornady for $27/100.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have FOUR once fired cases you can have...

Not sure that'll help you much thoughSmiler

Someone left them at the range.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N. S. Sherlock-- My rifle is a Savage 12VLP and it came with the long throat from the factory. I can seat the 40 gr. bullets a wee bit into the casing neck and be reasonably close to the lands, but then those loaded rounds are too long to fit in the magazine.

The 35 gr. Berger FB HPs sit out at the edge of the casing neck when they are touching the lands, and the 32 gr. V-Max are too short to touch the lands when the base of the bullet is in the case mouth.

This is no big deal to me as of yet because the rifle shoots very accurate groups. It will stay the way it is until the accuracy starts to drop off. Then, it will get a custom barrel with a 1 in 11" twist and 3 grooves if I can find one.

[edited for spelling]

Catch ya L8R