New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do I start?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In developing a load for a rifle would you begin with using 1 powder and playing with the bullet seating depth or pick a distance off the lands and experiment with several powder and charge weights?

Thanks for any input

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Begin with a starting load from a reliable loading manual. I'd pick the powder that gives max velocity for the bullet or the recommended "most accurate" powder. Start with the seating depth from the manual and vary from there. I usually load three powder charge weights to start with the one powder. If I already have another suitable powder in stock, I'd load three powder charge weights with that powder too and see what the rifle likes.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Greg hit the starting load right on.

When I was working up a load for my 300 Win Mag I tried different powders under 180 grain Swift A Frames with mediocre results. Next I checked free bore and discovered my M70 did not like a big jump to the lands. I started increasing the OAL to 3.470 which gave the best groups. I then increased the powder charge which also improved the groups. I settled on 76.5 gr Rel 22 which gave me 3/4 inch groups. To achieve the 3.470 OAL I had to replace the magazine with a 375 to make room for the lengthened cartridge.

Flexibility is the key. When loading 150 gr Hornady ballistic tips I found 4831 gave the best performance with the same long OAL

My next project is to try some Rel 17. Wink

Remember, all firearms are different. I have a M70 416 Rem Mag that the first three shots touch each other with 350 gr Speer or Swift using Rel 15. Velocity has very little affect.
I tried some Varget which gave good groups but I found the perceived recoil nasty with ugly muzzle blast.

Good Luck!

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes reloading manual #3 has an excellent article called Quick and Easy Hunting Loads by Ken Kempa. I've used the approach several times most recently a few weeks ago with a new 30-06.

It would be best to find and read the article but I'll give you a few major points.

1. Pick one bullet and 3-5 powders you want to try.

2. Load up a pressure series of 3 rounds for each powder you want to try. For example, if the max charge weight of xyz powder is 50 grains, load up one round with 48 grains, one round with 49 grains and one round with 50 grains. Do this with each powder you want to try. Seat all bullets to the same depth.

3. Go to the range and shoot each round starting with the lowest charge weight and working your way up to the max charge weight. Watch for pressure signs and stop if you see any. I use a chronograph and compare the velocity to what the book says I should be getting.

4. Assuming you picked three powders and each of the max loads were safe in your rifle, go home and load up six more rounds of each max load with each powder. You now have 18 rounds loaded up all to the same seating depth.

5. Go back to the range and shoot three shot groups (in this case six groups) and see which powder shoots the best. Once you pick a winner, load up six more of that load and shoot two more groups to verify its performance.

Kempa's viewpoint is you will see a bigger difference in group size between different powders than by varying xyz powder by 1/4 or 1/2 grain etc.

You can tweak your chosen load ever further by adjusting seating depth if you want and can even adjust the powder charge but I haven't had to do so yet. I've been able to achieve submoa groups with three rifles using this approach. I chronograph the loads again to make sure I know what they are doing and always prudently watch for pressure signs until I'm confident the load is safe. You can (and I have) make this a lot more time consuming if you want to. I could easily spend an hour telling you about tricks and tips I've tried but I now believe most of it is bunk and unnecessary for a hunting rifle. (Long range and competition shooters would have a very different view)

This approach allows me to find a suitable accurate and powerful hunting load in the shortest amount of time and with the fewest number of bullets and least amount of powder expended. If you decide to shoot Barnes bullets. Seat them 50 thousandths from the lands. That has been the optimum seating depth for 4 of my rifles. (Barnes recommends starting at 50 thousandths but acknowledges you may have to seat from 40-70 thousandths from the lands) Good shootin!

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. As always this site is a great source of good information.

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good way to start.
I would add
I get my starting seating depth for the gun w/ the bullet prior to actually loading any loads
I make very detailed notes during workup
I color code my primers (for each charge wt )
I use a separate target for each charge wt----pre marked w/ all the data b/4 I go to the range
I also take a pre marked notepad w/ all the load info for recording chrono info and accuracy results

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In recent years powder availability seems to be key. Next are bullet availability unless you shoot lead. I buy rifle powder in 8 lb containers now. I didn't in times past.

There is a book by Patrick Sweeney "Reloading for the Handgunner" that is one of my favorites. There is much good info that applies to rifle reloading as well. My other favorites are from Hornady and Lyman.

I've read that a reloader needs at least 3 reloading manuals as references.

Just as a side note and not meant to hi-jack the thread, but older military 7.62 ammo sure does make for a dirty rifle if suppressed in an AR type. I'd much rather shoot my reloads, making sure the bullet leaves the barrel after each shot. This is easier done in a bolt gun.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
This is among the best & most concise write-ups I have seen! tu2 friar

quote:
Originally posted by sep:
The Barnes reloading manual #3 has an excellent article called Quick and Easy Hunting Loads by Ken Kempa. I've used the approach several times most recently a few weeks ago with a new 30-06.

It would be best to find and read the article but I'll give you a few major points.

1. Pick one bullet and 3-5 powders you want to try.

2. Load up a pressure series of 3 rounds for each powder you want to try. For example, if the max charge weight of xyz powder is 50 grains, load up one round with 48 grains, one round with 49 grains and one round with 50 grains. Do this with each powder you want to try. Seat all bullets to the same depth.

3. Go to the range and shoot each round starting with the lowest charge weight and working your way up to the max charge weight. Watch for pressure signs and stop if you see any. I use a chronograph and compare the velocity to what the book says I should be getting.

4. Assuming you picked three powders and each of the max loads were safe in your rifle, go home and load up six more rounds of each max load with each powder. You now have 18 rounds loaded up all to the same seating depth.

5. Go back to the range and shoot three shot groups (in this case six groups) and see which powder shoots the best. Once you pick a winner, load up six more of that load and shoot two more groups to verify its performance.

Kempa's viewpoint is you will see a bigger difference in group size between different powders than by varying xyz powder by 1/4 or 1/2 grain etc.

You can tweak your chosen load ever further by adjusting seating depth if you want and can even adjust the powder charge but I haven't had to do so yet. I've been able to achieve submoa groups with three rifles using this approach. I chronograph the loads again to make sure I know what they are doing and always prudently watch for pressure signs until I'm confident the load is safe. You can (and I have) make this a lot more time consuming if you want to. I could easily spend an hour telling you about tricks and tips I've tried but I now believe most of it is bunk and unnecessary for a hunting rifle. (Long range and competition shooters would have a very different view)

This approach allows me to find a suitable accurate and powerful hunting load in the shortest amount of time and with the fewest number of bullets and least amount of powder expended. If you decide to shoot Barnes bullets. Seat them 50 thousandths from the lands. That has been the optimum seating depth for 4 of my rifles. (Barnes recommends starting at 50 thousandths but acknowledges you may have to seat from 40-70 thousandths from the lands) Good shootin!

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first started, I selected a powder that would give good velocity in several weights of bullets in my 30-06. I selected 4064. I found that I really didn't use different weights of bullets. 150 grainers worked well for my purposes. Why have several different weights and have to readjust my scope for different weights? I did try some 110 grain bullets and was lucky that they did shoot to same point as the 150's, something I had read Jack O'Connor says happens in some guns. But, so what? I didn't notice much reduction in blast or recoil so what would I use them for? After years of people telling me that 4350 was THE powder, I acquired some. The 4064 shot better in my rifle.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for more than 25 cartridges. Some guns shoot the exact same load well (4) 7 mags, (3) 270 Win, (5) 220 Swifts, (3) 338 WM, multiple 30/06s. Other guns just have their own 'other' preferences. You may find one easily OR only find one through trial and error. Or, may find one or several that are 'good enough'. Good luck on your quest.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote