Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Good 300 Rem. SAUM Loads???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
You see what I mean...no-one even looks at the post!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
BTH, I actually like the SAUM carts better, they are truly made for short actions. Now that the M700TI is available in 7SAUM & .300SAUM I may have to get a .300 for those really steep elk hunts.

The Swift manual has some data as does the new Hornady manual, I think Nosler does too. You can also go on line & look @ the powder manuf. sites for data.

If you are a handloader, it's not really relevant that the WSM is more popular. I load for several wildcats & never buy factory ammo, so what?

For deer, any good 150-165gr bullet will do. For elk I like 180gr in the .308, I also favor Nosler partitions, they always work.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the help. I am new and wondering...if IMR for example lists a load with Brand A 180 gr. bullets. Will that load data work for other companies' 180 gr. bullets?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes & no on the loads switching buulets. When you change any component, brass, primers or bullets, you should back down & work back up. I have rarely found it a problem interchanging say Sierra 168gr/.308 MK & a 165gr Nosler BT. Every rifle is diff. & that goes for the loads in the loading manuals. What Todd said, find a load you think looks good & start 5-7% low & work up. Watch for pressure signs & chronograph your loads if you can, it helps. Good luck, keep us posted. I may just have to get one of those .300SAUMs before they become extinct!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTH, I too like the SAUM case over the WSM!! If Remington had brought out the SAUM's(already had the R&D done) before the RUM's and beaten Winchester to the draw with their WSM's then this post would absolutely be reversed!!! The SAUM's may be relegated to obsolete but they will have at least one fan!!! Here are a few loads that ought to give you a starting place!! As far as powder choices go, look no farther than VARGET!!!! All you'll need to know!!
1) 57 gr Varget, 165 Horn BTSP, CCI 250 primer COL. 2.840, velocity=3005fps, 24"barrel
2)57 gr Varget, 159gr GROOVE BULLET, CCI-250, COL. 2.937, vel=3209fps
3) 58.0 Varget, 150 grain Nosler BT, CCI-250, COL, 2.848, vel=3105fps
4) 62.0 Varget, 125 grain Nosler BT, CCI-250, COL, 2.848, vel=3364
All these loads and data are from a Remington 700 SS with 24" barrel. The Remington factory 180 grain "PREMIUM" Partition loads averaged 3184fps for 20 rounds!! They were extremely accurate in this rifle with the best 3 shot 100 yard group going into .252"!!!! However, there was also pressure signs with this loading.ie....hard bolt opening !! Remington has that load on the doorstep of TOO DAMN HOT!!!!! The accuracy or the other loads listed, 125's, 150 Noslers and the 159 GROOVE Bullets is exceptional with all of them being .5-.8" 100 yard loads and the 165 Hornady being in the .9's!!! Overall I guess you could say I'm pleased with this one as far as a "factory" gun!! No bedding or work other than the trigger job by myself and using a Pentax 3x9 LightSeeker scope for the tests!!! This one was bought as a "toy" on a whim! I had worked on 4-5 of the WSM's(Browning and Winchester) and was impressed by their accuracy and pleasantness of shooting but this one is special!!! Hope this helps!!! GHD PS: The COL's are for my gun and due to my BR/ varmint hunting background relegate this one to single shot also!!! Hard to break the habit of putting more than 1 round in a magazine!!! But when they shoot like this.....1 is all you need!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is an accurate and easy to load cartridge. I've had very good results working from 58 to 62.5 grains H4350 under 165 gr Hornady BTSP, as well as 180 gr Hornady BTSP and Interbond, and 180 gr Nosler Accubond. WLRM primers. Accuracy goes 1" or less, not particularly fussy.

Try the most recent Nosler, Lyman, Hodgdon manuals and check out the downloads from Shortmags.org. for data. There's enough out there to keep you busy. Enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Anyone have suggestions for deer / elk loads for the 300 Rem SAUM? I get the feeling I should have chosen the 300 WSM. I can't find much load data from the manuals. I am wondering if the 300 SAUM will even last 10 years??

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I didn't know about the web sites you mentioned. I will be taking my Model 7 22" barrel 300 SAUM to Colorado this fall hoping to take an elk. So, I guess I'll stay in the 165 or 180 grain bullet range.

Groundhog Devastation: I chase coyotes quite a bit. You've inspired me! With 125 grain bullets, this rifle would be fun to tote on a yote trip...I had doubts about the accuracy with such a light bullet, but I'll give it a shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog,

You either have a typo in your post or need to proof your chronograph. 3184fps with a 180 grain bullet is impossible in a 300 SAUM without being at "spontaneous dissassembly" pressures! Those are more realistically 300 RUM ballistics.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote