THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is the GMX similar to TTSX, likes the jump to lands?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the GMX similar to TTSX, likes the jump to lands?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If the GMX is similar to the TTSX and likes the jump to lands I will try those first on a new load.
Anyone have experience with this?

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
First I have not used the GMX bullet.

Does the TTSX shoot better with a jump? Or is the jump needed to keep pressure under control? I always "thought" it was for the pressure.

Looking at the Hornady site they reference normal loading data (for what that is worth)

What was the question??? Wink As I said I have no experience with the GMX but my norm is to use a larger jump with the Mono style bullet. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I can say the Nosler ETip definitely likes a jump too the lands. I load .05-.08" short oal.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pressure to lands distance may be an issue for the mono bullets, not sure. I figure all the mono bullets can be accurate with a jump to lands compared to some of the lead VLDs where distance to lands is more critical. I have a keen interest in trying the 100 gr GMX in my .270 Win.but don't want to mess with a tempermental lands distance like the VLD need, I think the Barnes are known to be otherwise based upon my reading.

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael:

I just love your sense of humor snd propensity to joke around and jerk everyone's chain. But these are serious people with vast experience.

Your innocuous question is taken in two contexts:

1. You don'tknow.

2. You are playing with the troops.

The question of jumping to the lands is by the chambering and preparation of the barrel.

Forward of the case area there are two other areas before rifling. The freebore and leade.

Your question about which bullet is best is essentially innocuous.

Unfortunately you miss the mark. That's not a detractor not a chastisement. Rather a welcome opportunity to help you which the members are ready and willing to do,

Unfortunately your question does not have an answer in internal ballistics. But we appreciate your inquisitive nature.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the gun, the load, the bullet, its not black and white..

My 7x57 Brno and my 9.3x62 have long magazines and long throats set up for heavy bullets..the shoot short bullets and long bullet equally well..Its easy to get devoured by technical BS.

Bottom line ya never know until you try'em.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
You could always ask Hornady

1-800-338-3220

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote