New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm08 barrel length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what does a Ruger #1 with a 26" barrel do to the velocity of a 7mm08? Does this length barrel increase velocity vs. 22" barrel as it would for a magnum cartridge?

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Yes. How much you`ll have to crony to be sure.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thmpr,

You will continue to gain velocity per inch of barrel even in the relatively small case of the 7mm-08.

In a standard length belted magnum case of .308" caliber and under, you will gain between 30-40 fps.

In one of the huge new cases, this gain can grow to between 35-45 fps. Especially from 26" out to around 32 inches.

The little 08 case will not get these increases simply because it used relatively quick burning powders and has a much higher expansion ratio then the big magnum cases.

That said, it will still gain velocity in a longer barrel.

Just guessing, from a 22 to 26 inch barrel I would expect 15-25 fps per inch. From 26 to +30 inches, I would expect to see an increas of 10-15 fps increase.

In my mind, the longer barrel would take away from the virtue of the little 7mm. In your Ruger #1 though, it is no longer then a 22" bolt gun with an increase of around 80 fps over a 22" pipe.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen: As Elvis would say,"thankyouverymuch".

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote