Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best bullet for 1:8 twist 24" AR 15 -. 223
 Login/Join

posted
Any advice on a good bullet for 1:8 twist 24" AR 15 -. 223.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Sierra, Nosler, Hornady.........you never know which will shoot the best till you try them.
The heavier bullets -55gr and up - will probably show the best accuracy with your twist but, My M70 HV with a 1/9 does best with 52gr Sierra`. I`d try something along the line of the 55gr Nosler BT or the 55 or 60gr Hornady V-Max and see how they do to start.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
submoa, sounds like a recipe for a match rifle. With that twist, you can use any of the heavies you want,(69-80 grain) just avoid the light weight bullets, like the 50 grain and lighter.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sub:

My 223 with a 1 in 8 is a bolt gun. However mine seems to do real well with the 75 grain Hornady's and the 80 grain Sierras. Don't know why, but mine does not like the 77 grain Noslers, or Sierras. Makes no sense with the performance I get out of the 75s and 80 grainers.

Anyone of these bullets will double the range of the rifle that is for sure. I have used the 75 grain HPs and AMaxes for 600 yd competition, with good results ( for me at least). It did a respectable showing against guys who were shooting 300 Wins and 30/338s using 190 to 20 grain matchkings. However the guy who shows up with the 6 BR steals the show every time.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've always had good results with Hornady 75 gr HPBT @ ~2950 fps in a 1:7 twist. Very accurate at 300 m, tolerable at 600 m (I'd expect it to be more tolerable if my wind doping skills were better!).

Posts: 3 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 12 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire:
[QB]Sub:

My 223 with a 1 in 8 is a bolt gun. However mine seems to do real well with the 75 grain Hornady's and the 80 grain Sierras. Don't know why, but mine does not like the 77 grain Noslers, or Sierras. Makes no sense with the performance I get out of the 75s and 80 grainers.
QB]

It is sometime amazing how varied the accuracy can be when trying different match grade bullets in a match grade rifle. I have a 40XC-KS 1-8 twist that refuses to shoot 70, 75, or 80 gr. JLK VLD bullets. I mean 3-4" at 100 yards. The same rifle will shoot 80 gr. Sierra MK into little tiny tiny groups. The JLK bullets shoot well through my 1-7 twist AR barrels. I did recently pick up some Berger 80 gr. VLD bullets and some Hornady 75 gr. A-max bullets, so we'll see how they will perform.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Submoa, I have been surprised by the Rock River Arms 24" AR Varmint rifle. It is a 24" 1 in 8" twist SS Wilson air gauged barrel.

When I picked it up I was in a hurry to get shooting with it & I saw some 45 gr.varmint pack
(40 count) Win. ammo @ 9.99 & bought it.

So far almost all groups have been under 1" & yesterday in 100 degree heat the best 5 shot group was .412". I'm not saying these lightweight elcheapos are best for this twist but they sure ain't bad in this rifle. When finished
with the 8 boxes I've got it'll be interesting to see how handloads with the heavier pills will work out.

Which 24 incher did you get or is it a custom job? Good shooting, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys - looks like I just need to buy a box each of the 60-80 & see what the rifle likes (I expected as much)

oulufinn, the Ar is a Les Baer Ultimate NRA match with a 30" bbl (24" of rifling + an extea 6" for front sights)