New
Find
Notify
Tools

CASE LENGTH
 Login/Join

<Link>
posted
Can I tell when to trim my OA case length, by chambering a resized case in my gun?
Or how can I determine what is Max. case length for my gun? thanks Link

one of us
posted Hide Post
No as rechambering means nothing...You have to measure the case...MOst handloading books give max lenth and trim lenth..or a case lenth gage can be had for a couple of bucks. this trimming business is a very important function of reloading as a case too long can run pressure sky high plenty fast....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Link>
posted
Thanks Ray. Guess I will stick to the book. Link

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If the pressure thing doesn't phase you, I'll relate an experience with my 6PPC and lack of trimming. Having the neck just a little long can take a load that is always looking for an excuse to break .3" into a 3" load.

It's also one of the "75 common accuracy gremlins". FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
LINK,
Sinclair sells a case length gauge for about $5.00 that works great. It is necessary to to ruin a case, but the case can be used forever to determine chamber length. I warn you, the actual length of a chamber has no bearing on S.A.A.M.I. specs. It will be a eye opener. I hope that this will be of some help. Good luck. [Smile]