Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

once fired brass
 Login/Join

posted
thanks for the tip on the new thread hot core.ive got a tumbler but didnt know the best media for the dirtier range brass.im not lucky enough to have a range close by arkypete so im envious of those of you that do.im sure some of the 45 acp range brass is military and some is corrosive.how do you know which is and which aint?how do you treat it?
thank ya

Posts: 17 | Location: wv | Registered: 10 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In nearly forty years of shooting, I can't recall seeing any corrosive 45ACP ammo. There may be some out there, but I've never run accross it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ramsy, The commercial Caes will typically have the name of the company embossed into the Casehead. Like WIN, R-P or FED. In rifle cases it is always a good idea to segregate Cases by manufacturer. It "might" help some with pistol/revolver Cases, but it would show up less on "my" targets since I don't keep as well practiced with my pistols/revolvers as I should.

If you see the above headstamps, you can be assured they all have a single flash-hole and can be reloaded. Some of the older foreign cases(and the aluminum CCI cases) have two flashholes. That prevents you from running them through your normal Reloading Dies.

I can't remember the last time I fired any "Corrosive Ammo", meaning the real old stuff with corrosive Primers. But, I guess some could still be out there. If you stick with the commercial headstamps (above) you won't have to be concerned about it though.

Hopefully some of the other folks can fill us in on the availability of corrosive ammo.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote