New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee hand priming tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a box 308 Lapua brass and the Lee priming tool shell holder will not fit the Lapua brass. The press shell holder works with about 90% of the brass.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will another size shell holder work?

If I use the Lee classic cast press to prime the cases, what force would be required to seat the primers? Is it easy to apply too much force on the primers using the press priming tool?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Check to see if it is the shell holder or the body of the hand primer.

The WSM family doesn't fit either. I had to mill the slot in the body of the hand primer out just a bit to get my WSM to fit.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just bought a couple of hundred Norma brass for my 6.5x284 and about ten percent of them will not fit into any (I have three) shellholders nor the Lee priming tool shellholder for that size case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Check to see if it is the shell holder or the body of the hand primer.

The WSM family doesn't fit either. I had to mill the slot in the body of the hand primer out just a bit to get my WSM to fit.

It's the shell holder. The extractor groove is too large for the shell holder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fixed mine like Ted did before I gave it away...the best way to fix it is to replace it with a RCBS universal--no more shellholders!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rammag:
I bought a box 308 Lapua brass and the Lee priming tool shell holder will not fit the Lapua brass. The press shell holder works with about 90% of the brass.

If I use the Lee classic cast press to prime the cases, what force would be required to seat the primers? Is it easy to apply to much force on the primers using the press priming tool?

You can push the primer in with one finger. You'll get the feel in about three cases...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a #3 holder, it's a tad larger than the #2.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mid-South sells a brass version of the shellholder made by Possum Hollow (one of the son's of Sinclair). I have the PPC one and it works very smoothly. The PPC works in some .38 spl holders and not in others. Some die makers only sell .38 spl holders for PPC. Problems arise from which limits of the tolerance range the holder comes out at determing if the PPC(.220 Russian) case will work in the .38/.357 holder. A couple passes with a jeweler's file can make tight ones work. Breaking sharp corners can help too.

AL W

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." Col. Townsend Whelen
My definition? Hitting what you aim at with the first shot!

Posts: 3 | Location: North New Jersey,USA | Registered: 24 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rammag:

If I use the Lee classic cast press to prime the cases, what force would be required to seat the primers? Is it easy to apply too much force on the primers using the press priming tool?

I had a similar problem with RWS brass. I had to go to the next larger shell hold, and that solved the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had it happen to me with Lapua 223 brass. I initially thought it was the brass. Changed to a different #4 shell holder and the Lapua brass fit just fine.

Shellholder outa spec I guess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I just bought a couple of hundred Norma brass for my 6.5x284 and about ten percent of them will not fit into any (I have three) shellholders nor the Lee priming tool shellholder for that size case.

Must be your specific lot of 6.5/284 Norma brass as mine fit Lee, RCBS and Redding shellholders just fine.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote