THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need .35 Whelen/ 225-grain Nosler B-tip data.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a hard time finding loading data for the 225-grain Nolser Ballistic Tip in the .35 Whelen.

I would also like to find a load for the 225-grain Nosler Partition that shoots to the same point of impact (short range) as the B-tip load.

If I can get the Ballistic tip moving around 2600 fps, I would like to try it on a leopard hunt this spring in Zimbabwe. The Partition load would be for other plains game.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,

I currently shoot two 35 Whelens and the combo of 225 grain BT and Reloader 15 gives the highest velocity and best accuracy in each. 2600 fps is no problem at all and you can get closer to 2700 fps if you prefer.

My loads are above max in most manuals, but are safe in my rifles, so please proceed with the proper caution.

In my 1903 Springfield 22" barrel, I load 60.5 gr R-15 with the 225 BT, COL is 3.370" = 2695 fps

For the Rem CDL 24" barrel, 62.0 gr R-15, 225 gr BT to a COL of 3.500" = 2755 fps.

Both loads are with R-P cases and CCI-200 primers.

With the 225 grain partition, max loads in my rifle are the same.

Good luck with your leopard,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BigBullet,

I have seen the Re. 15 load in several manuals, but they are all with flat-based bullets. I didn't know if the boat-tailed ballistic tip made a difference or not.

I'm going to start at around 56 grains and work up. I'll stop when I get above 2600 fps. with a load that prints good.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-12 From 52.9 grains to 61.5 grains
Federal 210 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,

Yes, I do beleive the BT's make a significant differance. Weather it is less bearing surface, or whatever, they attain measurably higher velocities without pressure indications. On the other end of the scale, at least in my rifles, the Barnes X bullet, through a supberb hunting hunting and one in which I have used with good success, will be 75 fps slower then the BTs. I think your are wise not to extrapolate from one bullet to another without working up from lower powder levels.

Hope this helps,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote