Find
Notify
Tools

what now?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys,

In my 270 and 223 rifles, I've worked up accurate loads with acouple of bullets each, ballistics are almost identical for both all loads in both rifles (handy trick, that, don't have to think about which rifle or load I'm using). NOW the problem is, what can I do now? Load development is finished, and apart from loading more and more ammo, how do I spend my spare time? The loads are boringly accurate (3 shot, clover leaf groups at 100 metres, so trying to improve that isn't an option. Apart from buying another rifle (can afford the gun, but not the inevitable divorce that would accompany it)! My knives are all sharp, guns and fishing gear are clean.

Any ideas? Thanks

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a new gun, find another hobby, take up golfing, look for a new girlfriend?? [Wink]
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Got Varmints??? Seems like a good way to use that new accuracy and also give you some loading time at the bench...

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's time to practice. Try improving your trigger squeeze time. Try "double taps". With a friend running a stop watch, put a 9 inch pie plate at various distances, start with the safety on, and see how long it takes you to hit the plate twice and bolt in a fresh round. Do this from your field positions.
Take your rifles to where you can learn long range shooting and your limitations. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, let's see. If you had two wives, you could have twice as many toys, twice as much fun. Sounds like a plan to me.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Pigs? Roos? Take up four-wheeling? Predator calling (I hear you have some foxes down there)? Feral cats, donkeys, camels?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Tell her it belongs to a friend who has asked you to try to accurize it. Making this gun shoot those cloverleafs like your other two should solve your spare time problem for the next decade or so. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I think you have a grasp on your problem.
quote:
My knives are all sharp, guns and fishing gear are clean.
[Eek!]

One should NEVER have sharp knifes and clean shooting and fishing gear. I would accept haveing one of the above true, but not all. You have to get out and do something about this unnatural state you have yourself in. The thought alone gives me the willies........... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Good God man, if your that bored then why not bring back the art of trick shooting. You could become the founder of the Sydney Globeshoters and put Wild Bill hicock and Anny Oakley to shame. Besides, havent you heard? Theres always room for more accurizing..

O-corse me, If I had your problems, Id just go hunting.. [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Learn to cut cards in half at fifteen yards, edgeways. [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOW the problem is, what can I do now?
Ever seen on TV, one of those violinists that can fiddle a violin up side down or with a bow gripped by teeth, or playing it with their head between their legs? Now that's what they started learning to do after they know they are good...

No need to rush into something too fancy, shooting on a unicycle is a very good start.

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
If your rifles have wooden handles, why not try refinishing them. I do that with my CZs and believe me, it sure do make them look purdy! I use GB Lindspeed Oil and apply many, many coats between bouts of steelwooling down to bare wood and more coats. You might try to manufacture your own rifle slings, with some personalized leather products. You can build a new, inexpensive reloading bench. If you are any good at woodworking you might try building a drop-dead beautiful exotic wood case for your rifles. If you weld, try making some target stands out of bar stock. You can install a recoil pad on your .270 just for the hell of it. You might get timney triggers and install them on your rifles. You might even consider getting a steel gripcap, use a file to bring it down to specs, blue it and put it on your rifle, or rifles. Finally, if you have plenty of guts you might try to convince your wife that a muzzle loader is not really a rifle and get into smokepole shooting, just for the hell of it! Have fun ... Tom Purdom [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<BorisBarker>
posted
Yeah Mate, Go to Kings Cross and have a few beers or go and kill an introduced beast...go for a swim in the harbour....get a 338 and a .22 and see if you can shoot a 12 ga shell at 100 meters with ya .22, sure to keep you entertained all day!...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time on a 77/22 Hornet. Get a Mossberg 12 gauge and some 00 buck shot, you'll get smaller groups with the Mossberg.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if you're about ready to go hunting.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rugeruser,
I would load up either some heavy for caliber bullets, or light for caliber bullets probalbly 270 and play around that way. Always fun to me to work up loads with many different bullets and weights of bullets per caliber, does cost money but what the hell got to have a hobby. [Big Grin]

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Well.....

Reactive targets
Targets at unknown distances (practice range estimation)
practice from field positions
off hand practice
Varmints!

To name but a few, but the single most rewarding, fun, entertaining and appropriate thing is to do is to take a kid shooting. No doubt there is a son, nephew, cousin, or neighborhood kid that would just love to go out and burn some powder up with you. JMO, Dutch.

Dutch.

[ 05-10-2003, 00:37: Message edited by: Dutch ]

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Buy a Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Tell her it belongs to a friend who has asked you to try to accurize it. Making this gun shoot those cloverleafs like your other two should solve your spare time problem for the next decade or so. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Get a muzzleloader, preferably a good flintlock with a medium rate of twist. Then buy all the different weights and styles of bullet moulds the twist will handle. Get a period outfit, join a rendezvous or reenactor group. Experiment with different bullets, powder types, flints, and possibles!! Burn powder!! Have fun!!