Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's a Hornady "Barrier" bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
my 1k should be here any day. I'll let you know if no comes up w/ the answer by than roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some, too. It's hard to go wrong with a 3 cent bullet. If it will neither kill elk nor prairie dogs, it will at least ventilate tin cans.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Hey, I recognize those bullets! I just bought 1000 a couple of months ago from Lock, Stock and Barrel's "Blem" page. They no longer have them listed. Apparently they're closeouts. Dang, I'd like to have 5000 more, if they're not making them. My wife'll howl, though; she just saw last month's credit card bill last night.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Heck, I just went on and ordered 'em, anyway. It's always better to ask forgiveness than permission, right? Midsouth's out of the 5000 bags, but the lady on the phone got permission to sell me 5 of the 1000 bags at the $150 price.

(They've got 206 more of those as of 5 minutes ago.)

Wish I'd done it while Lockstock had 'em at the same price, 'cause I had to pay Tennessee sales tax on these. Oh well, the state really needs the money.

I think I've got enough bullets now to thoroughly shoot out the first barrel on my Savage.

I'm headed out now to the range to put some wear on it.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey, I recognize those bullets! I just bought 1000 a couple of months ago from Lock, Stock and Barrel's "Blem" page.

Well . . . how did they perform (accuracy, penetration, frangibility, etc.)?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
All I've done with them so far is punch paper. They are quite accurate. I'm figuring they're just standard softpoints, not the super-frangible thin jacketed sort like Hornady's SXs. I can't imagine why they'd've been sold to law enforcement only, unless Hornady just thought that'd be a good marketing gimmick to reach that niche. There's nothing new about .224 bullets with a fairly large meplat and the jacket all the way to the tip. That's the way the first Remington factory .22-250s looked, with 55 grain bullets. These look just like 'em loaded. I'll have to blast some milk jugs with 'em, I reckon.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Looking around at the .223 60 gr. TAP ammo tests, it's apparent to me that what they're testing is a plastic-tipped, highly frangible varmint bullet that sounds like a V-Max. I'm guessing that they formerly sold these sturdier SPs for situations where they might be needed to shoot through more substantial obstacles without fragmenting as rapidly. Apparently there wasn't a sufficient demand for this in .223 from the Law Enforcement community to make them profitable. But they look like dandy .22-250 hunting bullets to me!