New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check these out.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

I know in the past posts concerning the 45-70 have ruffled feathers to say the least. I have been working on loads strictly for the Ruger #1 45-70s that would generate enough energy within pressure guide lines given to me by Ruger to take on any thing they are pointed at. These cartridges generate 5100+flbs of muzzle energy using a modified (reinforced )550gr cast bullet at over 2000fps. The load is within the pressure recomendation. The bullet is a dual diameter cast that opens up a tremendous amount of case capacity. The specifics are a guarded secret at this time but the load may be availible for sale sometime in 2006. reflex264

Posts: 78 | Location: TN | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which specifics are guarded.....the powder charge or the bullet. Sounds like it would work great in my 450 Marlin bolt-action.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Stand by....

Somebody is going to semi-successfully re-invent the .458 Winchester Magnum which was a semi-successful re-invention of the .450 Nitro Express!

This whole thing reminds me of some of the friends of my 16 year-old daughter. Britany Spears want-a-bees, they stuff their chubby 130 pound bodies into jeans designed for slinky chicks..... and somebody has to see the gut hanging out.. When the young lady could have either exercised some, or just been happy with the cards dealt her... (or bought a .458 Win Mag in the first place).

In other words... "We is what we is!"... Ain't no magic going to keep that belly from rolling over the belt or increase the case capacity of a .45/70.

Posts: 7716 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a 45-70?? Never heard of it.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
So what cartridge company do you work for?
I got something that is not a secret for you use a 458 lott.
I dont understand why people wont just give the 45/70 a rest and realize that it is what it is and nothing more.
What's this to do with Africa?
You and your closely guarded secret

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the fixation with cast bullets. They are just about the worst choice a hunter can make when trying to break through heavy bone, such as a buffalo spine, buffalo shoulder, buffalo skull or elephant skull. Of course it is possible to make a worse choice, such as using shotshells.

Steel-lined FMJ solids, tungsten core solids, and monolithic solids (both brass and copper) were invented and are popular today because of their far greater durability than hardened lead when going up against hard bone structures.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Where does this bs come from if a 458 Lott goes 2300 ft per second and generates over 5000lbs of energy with 80 plus grains of powder..

How does half the casing size do this???

enough is enough...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Why is this on the African Hunting Forum????

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...Wouldn't a better solution to the problem be to run 458 Lott reamer into your Ruger and be done with it?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex264:

These cartridges generate 5100+flbs of muzzle energy using a modified (reinforced )550gr cast bullet at over 2000fps.

I used to load Speer 350's to 2550 FPS in my HiWall. Cases did not stick, primers were ok, ran out of room for powder.

This isn't anything special other than another custom round loaded with VV Powder.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I don't understand the fixation with cast bullets. They are just about the worst choice a hunter can make when trying to break through heavy bone, such as a buffalo spine, buffalo shoulder, buffalo skull or elephant skull. Of course it is possible to make a worse choice, such as using shotshells.

Steel-lined FMJ solids, tungsten core solids, and monolithic solids (both brass and copper) were invented and are popular today because of their far greater durability than hardened lead when going up against hard bone structures.

by golly, i sure wouldn't saunter up to bill cody and his ilk and say that. you might be dodging buffalo chips.

and they didn't even have hard cast lead.

horse hockey.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex264:

I know in the past posts concerning the 45-70 have ruffled feathers to say the least. I have been working on loads strictly for the Ruger #1 45-70s that would generate enough energy within pressure guide lines given to me by Ruger to take on any thing they are pointed at. These cartridges generate 5100+flbs of muzzle energy using a modified (reinforced )550gr cast bullet at over 2000fps. The load is within the pressure recomendation. The bullet is a dual diameter cast that opens up a tremendous amount of case capacity. The specifics are a guarded secret at this time but the load may be availible for sale sometime in 2006. reflex264

Interesting - I appreciate any effort to come up with something a little different - that's what keeps the handloading field exciting.

Nolo bastardos carborundum!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I don't understand the fixation with cast bullets. They are just about the worst choice a hunter can make when trying to break through heavy bone, such as a buffalo spine, buffalo shoulder, buffalo skull or elephant skull. Of course it is possible to make a worse choice, such as using shotshells. Steel-lined FMJ solids, tungsten core solids, and monolithic solids (both brass and copper) were invented and are popular today because of their far greater durability than hardened lead when going up against hard bone structures.

quote:
by golly, i sure wouldn't saunter up to bill cody and his ilk and say that. you might be dodging buffalo chips.
Ner Elmer Keith, neither!!

Hardened lead is plenty for animal tissue, flesh & bone both, unless it is too hard and moving too fast, in which case it can SHATTER!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote