New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 6mm06 data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I did a little more testing today for my version of a 6mm-06 improved (close to a .240 gibbs). Was hot out! right at 100 degrees. adjusted seating depths a little: Results were: chrono at 15 ft. from muzzle.

100 gr Sierra/57.5 gr/IMR 4831/3547 fps COL 3.201" close to Max.
90 gr sierra/57.5 gr/IMR 4831/3625 fps COL 3.201"
100 gr Sierra/56.0 grs/IMR 4831/3402 fps COL 3.201"
75 gr MBR/56.0 grs/IMR 4831/3630 fps COL decreased to 3.092"

Posts: 40 | Location: Lame Deer, Montana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Thanks for the load data....

I have a 6mm Remington on a long action Model 700 Rem and with that rifle....

75 grainers are clocking 3650 fps with 47.5 grains of H 414,

90 grainers are clocking 3450 with H 4350 and H 414.....

So it seems the 6/06 really struts it stuff with the 90 grain and above bullets.....

ON the flip side, I have throated mine where it will shoot the 115 grain Berger VLD bullets ( one in 7 twist).... 46 grains of RL 19 will do 3250 fps with that bullet....

I really think the 6mm Rem is close to the 6/06 and equal to factory loads in a 240 Weatherby.... but only when handloaded and when used in a LONG action... in a short action, it offers little over a 243....

Good luck with your rifle....
cheers
seafire
thumb

and welcome to the forum! beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Seafire & Robert:

Nice to see some more 6mm-06 data on our site. It is also nice to know other people are experimenting with this great cartridge.

Seafire, my load of choice, at least right now, is 54/IMR4831/Hornady 87 HPBT, for a velocity of 3675. This load will crack 3700 fps with ease,and lays waist to P-Dogs at 400yds and beyond. Because of the hot conditions here in Arizona, it is best to keep the loads a little on the cool side. That my friend, is a big jump on the 6mm Rem.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Seafire. I like the 6mm remington too. My cartridge which is closer to a .240 Gibbs will push the 75 gr bullet to 4067 fps with 61.6 grains of IMR 4831. The same load will push the 90 grains to 3700+ but that is certainly a max load. So far in my testing I've come to like H414 for the 75 grain and below bullets and IMR 4831 for the 75 gr and up in this cartridge. the only comparison I can make with the .240 weatherby is by way of the loading manuals. I havent chatted with any reloaders of the 240 weatherby so I dont know what they are actually getting in the field, but I don't think it will match this cartridge especially in the heavier weights. When corrected for muzzle velocity my 100 gr load is knocking hard on 3600 fps. Whether it proves to be an accurate load is another question to be answered at our next benchrest shoot.

As far as long actions on the 6mm remington, My only reference is with my long throated 7X57 on a springfield o3 action. My favorite long range load for it produces 2906 fps and is very accurate in my rifle. Obviously the ability to extend the overall cartridge length in a long action provides room for more powder and potentially higher velocities.

quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Bob,

Thanks for the load data....

I have a 6mm Remington on a long action Model 700 Rem and with that rifle....

75 grainers are clocking 3650 fps with 47.5 grains of H 414,

90 grainers are clocking 3450 with H 4350 and H 414.....

So it seems the 6/06 really struts it stuff with the 90 grain and above bullets.....

ON the flip side, I have throated mine where it will shoot the 115 grain Berger VLD bullets ( one in 7 twist).... 46 grains of RL 19 will do 3250 fps with that bullet....

I really think the 6mm Rem is close to the 6/06 and equal to factory loads in a 240 Weatherby.... but only when handloaded and when used in a LONG action... in a short action, it offers little over a 243....

Good luck with your rifle....
cheers
seafire
thumb

and welcome to the forum! beer

Posts: 40 | Location: Lame Deer, Montana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry,

I am planning to pickup some of the 87 hornady's when I get to town so I can try your load out. Do you have any experience with the hornadys on antelope or deer?

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Seafire & Robert:

Nice to see some more 6mm-06 data on our site. It is also nice to know other people are experimenting with this great cartridge.

Seafire, my load of choice, at least right now, is 54/IMR4831/Hornady 87 HPBT, for a velocity of 3675. This load will crack 3700 fps with ease,and lays waist to P-Dogs at 400yds and beyond. Because of the hot conditions here in Arizona, it is best to keep the loads a little on the cool side. That my friend, is a big jump on the 6mm Rem.

Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert;

Those are some impressive velocities!

I'd bet 300 yds and a 75 grain bullet is a chip shot on a prairie dog....

I know at 3650 out of the 6mm Rem, it sure is easy!

Bet it gives a new meaning to redmist on a square hit!

Good luck with it!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Robert & Seafire:

I have not used the 6mm-06 on any game. My goal was a long range varmint/from a rest/P-Dog shooter, and of course a few good groups on paper now and then. I would choose a 90-100 grain partition for game, if it was me, as I would be afraid of the other bullets coming apart at the high vels we push them on game.

Seafire, the high vels make long shots the norm. On a recent P-Dog shoot to New Mexico, the only shots I took with the 6-06 was at 400yds+. I was able to hit 7 out of 10 in spite of a heavy cross wind which keep my rest constantly moving. Had to hold one mil dot windage. As far as the red mist, there is a disadvantage ot this hot rod: you have to have a spotter as the recoil and the moving rest make it impossible to keep the target in the scope. Chuncks though, are easy to see.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry and Seafire

I'm going to be trying some of the 55 grain pills on some prairee dogs later this fall though I'll be backing off on the max load to conserve the life of my barrel. Jerry is right about the red mist. recoil of the rifle tends to take me out of view of the target so a spotter makes things easier. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to push the 55's to around 4300 fps assuming the bullet holds together. Recoil should be less than the 90-100 grainers so I might be able to stay on target to see the red mist at long ranges. In any case It is fun messing around with this cartridge. I am planning on having chambering reamers made for it so I can build a lighter hunting rifle using the same cartridge. I have a 1910 mexican mauser action that I would like to rebarrel to this cartridge.

My plan is to use a premium bullet in this gun for my antelope hunt this year just to prevent premature breakup of the bullet on impact. I'll probably pull the benchrest type stock of the gun and drop it in a plastic stock to cut down on the 14.5 pound weight. That weight can get real old real fast when stalking antelope.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Robert:

Heck, I won't have an antelope hunt this year, as none of us were drawn in Wyoming. My only hope now, is the slim chance I might get an elk tag here in Arizona, or beg one out of a land owner friend in New Mexico.

The 55 grain Ballistic tips worked well in my rifle, as I was using them for break in bullets. Got them up to 4400fps+, with no apparent break up, at 100 yds anyway. I have heard of another fellow who got the 55's up to 4500fps. Since my rifle likes the 87hpbt's so well, I guess I will stick with them.

Good Luck

Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry,

I'm figuring on the 90 to 105 grainers for my hunting. Since there is not a lot of data out there I've had to look over data from the .243 super rockchucker, other folks like yourself, and loading manuals for the 240 weatherby which provided me with a starting point which closely approximates the max loads for that cartridge.

In any case it has been fun to wring out this cartridge and learn what it will or will not do as I build my own data base for various loads. Thats what wildcats are all about isn't it.