Find
Notify
Tools

300 WBY Mag Subsonic Load Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
I have a 308 suppressor that I can also put on a 300 WBY Mag that I own. So to really play with the suppressor I wanted to load some subsonic loads for the 300 WBY, but have not been able to find anything about it online or in any of my reloading books.
Anyone tried this before or is there a reason I'm not finding anything on it (i.e. something I should not do)?
Thanks!

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could try 10-12 gr. of Unique with cast bullets from 173gr. to 213 gr. all with gas checks. In larger capacity cases, I use a piece of cotton balls pushed in over the powder to hold it close to the primer flash hole.

If you use jacketed bullets, than reduce the charge by a grain or two. There is experimenting involved to get reasonable accuracy.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a large case capacity and a long barrel it can be a fine line between just subsonic and a bullet stuck in the barrel.
Get a shot that doesn't sound right or no hole in the paper check to make sure the bore is clear.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Look at TrailBoss. I've loaded jacketed bullets as low as 1,200 fps in an '06 with nary a problem.

Hodgdon lists data for the 300 Bee + 150 gr + TrailBoss

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Try the Hodgdons website, they list reduced loads for H4895 powder.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you want low noise and recoil. My vote goes for cast bullets using Unique also. I don't remember the first jacketed reload I shot in my 30-06. They felt about like the factory loads I had shot. I clearly remember the first cast bullets. I had one load using 4064 powder and they were around 2400 fps--felt like a 30-30. The second batch was using Unique around 1600 fps and there was virtually no blast nor recoil, I thought a misfire. These were 170 grain bullets. I have shot a lot of bullets without the gas check from molds that were intended for gas check. I have not found leading nor loss of accuracy not using gas checks. Anymore, I do question their benefit. I have shot bunches of .22 cal cast bullets in the 2000--2200 fps range and they do a number on jackrabbit out to as far as you can get a good spotlight on them. Again I see no benefit of the gas check versus omitting it.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a different 308 caliber.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sdes:

So lets dig into this in my usual meticulous fashion. We'll take it step by step. There are three - or more - components.

Rifle

Barrel attachment

Suppressor. Can we get the method of attachment ?

What's the make and model ?

What are you desiring to suppress.

1. Muzzle flash ?
2. Barrel jump vertically.
3. Recoil on the shoulder

The industry has advanced so rapidly and technologically that it required explicit details now to comprehend.

Barrel suppressor
Silencer
Compensator
Muzzle brake
Flash suppressor
Hybrid
And more:

Recoil:

For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.

Loading - *( I'm jumping to fast forward to save time and words )

Loading too fast powders, out of conformity and recommendation by the manufacturers, is the providence of the bold and brave experimenters who are willing to push the envelope flirting with potential mishap ).

I will counsel you to keep down on the burn chart on the lower levels of burn rates. The upper powders are quick and volatile giving sharp punches like a stick to the ribs as opposed to a smack on the buttocks with a paddle.

You can even go down to 50 BMG powder and achieve satisfactory results !