New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stick it out, Savage is a good rifle and 300win is great. I have heard 7STW is hard to make accurate though, very over-bore etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I didn't realize that the barrels and actions were the same. I think I will continue to shoot it and just buy one if I happen across the deal of a lifetime thing. It shoots factory rounds ok 1 1/2"- 2" AT 100 (3 SHOTS) I have been putting loads thru it that I have bought from an ammo maker, a professional reloader I guess you could say. I get them to shoot close to or 1". Depending on the guy on the trigger that day. I love the caliber and it has been quite a "meat getter" for me. Thanks Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another reason the stick with savage is that there is a big after market for Savage barrels, bolts, triggers and stocks. This is because of the unique way they mount the bbl to the receiver using a collar type lock nut. Almost anyone can remove and replace a bbl and get perfect headspacing...it took me 20 minutes on my first try. Barrels from adams and Bennett come ready to install with no metal work and cost only $149 at Midway.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I think any rifle is a great rifle to start handloading for. Especially since you know how it shoots factory loads. One of the most rewarding experiances in handloading is seeing the difference in accuracy good handloads can make. I'm not sure how the rifle you have shoots now, but with a little time at the reloading bench, and a little practice, I am sure you can make it shoot better. For the .300 win I would recommend Reloader 22 as a powder to start with. I don't think to many people who load for them would argue that. It seems, at least in my experiance to be "the powder" for .300 Win Mag. as far as savage goes not many people can argue their reputation for being accurate. They may not be the prettiest or have all the bells and whistles, but they sure can shoot.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can start handloading anytime you want to. If the rifle does not really interest you then perhaps another one would be where to start.

How does the Savage shoot with factory loads now?

What happens is that we start out small, at least this is how I do it, and then I buy another set of dies and then some more components and then a better scope and then another rifle and then more dies. Finally one needs a thousand square feet for all the stuff.

Have fun.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like the rifle by all means stick with it. Assuming it shoots ok for you...

The .300 Win Mag is a fine all-purpose round.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote