New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting bench height
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't go to public shooting ranges. I own a piece of land that I shoot at. Well the kids are gone on to there own life out of state so the play house that was in the back yard was moved up to my property to use as a shooting shack. I'm going to make a bench to shoot out of a window but was not sure how high to build the bench. What in your experance would be the right height. Thanks Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
What ever is confortable to you.
I would take into consideration the seat first is it movable or fixed. I like a movable adjustable stool about 16" to 18" and a bench about 27" No higher.
I would mock up a setup and see how you shootin rest and that fits you.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Hivel is right, it doesn't matter what height my bench is, make your's to fit you! What I would suggest is you make the top about lower breast bone high, that will allow you to sit up with your head high with the rifle on the bags/rest rather than demanding you bend your back to lie across the rifle.

And make it rigid, nothing is more disappointing than watching your pulse jiggle your sights with every heart beat on a new bench. My current bench has four sections of power line pole buried three feet in the ground and has a 4" thick, steel reinforced concrete top; love it!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys now to find some time to get up there and work on it.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bench is kinda high, but I haven't cut down the legs yet, so I must be happy enough with it. Make it heavy duty and anchor it down.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever height you make it, be sure that your sitting up straight when the rifle is positioned against your shoulder.
IOW you do NOT want to be laying over the rifle (the biggest problem with most benches).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
And if you plan on heavy recoilers, make it where you can STAND and shoot.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote