Find
Notify
Tools

235 gr. Speer in a 375 h&h on game?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
Have been comparing trajectories between the 210 gr. NP @ 2900 fps (my pet nilgai & deer load in 338 WM) to the 235 gr. Speer @ 2700 in 375 h&h and found them to be very close out to 225 yards.

Anyone have any experience on this bullet performance on game?

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 905 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a spike WT with one four or five years ago. Bullet velocity was 2611 fps average with an SD of 13.

Impact at 75 yards resulted in a severely curved wound canal with entry behind the right shoulder and exit through the left rear thigh (from almost a normal angle on the chest). The bullet left chunks of itself all along the wound canal.

This bullet shoots well, but is best used on varmints and paper. Shame. I have heard that the 225 Hornady is sturdier.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the speer is no good on game, try the barnes 215 gr is you want a light bullet for game. my son shot everything from steenbok to eland with it and it preformed perfectly

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend uses his .375 H&H with that bullet for roe deer, but at much lower speed.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike & Butch; doesn't sound like the bullet I want to use.

Actually, I had been playing with a 260 gr. accubond and partition load a couple of years ago and dug out the old records. Had no trouble getting 2680 fps w/either bullet in my rifle. While accuracy was not quite what I was hoping for (best 5 shot group was l.l" @ 100 yds), it was OK for hunting.

I ran trajectories and the 260 gr. AB actually beat the 235 gr due to better BC and the NP matched the 235 gr all the way to 300 yds.

Plan to see if I can't tweak the 260 gr. loads for a bit better accuracy and think I'll hunt with the NP's.

I had a bad experience w/Barnes X bullets in my 300 WM a few years ago and haven't tried them since. Shot 5 ea. 200 gr. X's and accuracy was just a bit better than a mod. choke 12 ga. Then it took me 3 days to scrub all the copper out of my barrel. Still have 45 NIB .308 200 gr. collecting dust on the shelf. Frowner

I know, not really a fair test but just too much hassle IMO.

Yep, DUK, sounds like the 235 was designed for 375 Win. velocities. Would be great for deer but a bit under powered for nilgai @ the lower velocities.

Thanks, guys!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 905 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
Yep, DUK, sounds like the 235 was designed for 375 Win. velocities. Would be great for deer but a bit under powered for nilgai @ the lower velocities.

Thanks, guys!

Regards,
hm

I saw 5 (!) roe deer this guy shot on a driven hunt last January, all instant kills, no meat wasted at all.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote