Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts with nosler 110 Accubonds
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone loaded these ,and with what powder?
Nice looking bullets but seem very long for .257 Roberts cases.
Thanks Steve

Steve

Posts: 16 | Location: MA. | Registered: 19 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Long" isn't relative to the case, but to the magazine. Depending on the length of magazine of your Roberts the 110 Accubond may be a very good bullet for it.

The last Roberts I owned was on a "medium" commercial Mauser action with a magazine of just over 3". I shot lots of Nosler 115 Partitions out of it, as well as Sierra 117 boattails, and it had plenty of room to seat the bullets out where they should be. A Rem 721 magazine of only about 2.8" will crowd most bullets, but it is still not impractical to use them.

When I was loading for the Roberts I used nothing with any weight of bullet from 90 to 120 other than H4831. There are many other powders available these days in its general burning range, but H4831 (not IMR, for god's sake) would be the first I would try.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My daughter has killed Feral hogs, an Axis Doe, and a Black Buck with 110 Accubonds. Her 257 Bob Ruger Hawkeye piles them in one on top the other at 100 yards. I have had great success with Accubonds in my 308.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Long" isn't relative to the case, but to the magazine.

tu2 I prefer a roberts on a std mag with the bullet loaded out. Same as I do my 7x57s. Even loaded short the accubond makes a good bullet. I would try RL15.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Have not used the 110gr AB so I didn't post but as mentioned the magazine box length could be your limiting factor.

Long bullets need a faster twist but most later .257 Roberts are 1:10 twist and will shoot up to 120gr lead core well. I have only used 100gr in the solid coppers.

Shoot what works well. Mine isn't very finicky at all.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote