Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast or Jacketed Bullets?
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 444 Marlin, and soon 500 S&W. I know cast bullets are cheaper than jacketed or Barnes bullets. My velocities range from 1,200-2,000 F.P.S. Do I need to worry about leading with cast bullets? What about the cast bullets that are made with silver. Are these better? Is a cast or jacketed bullet better for penetrating deer and black bear? Are they both equivalent in accuracy?

Thank You in advance!

Posts: 3 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you should visit castboolit.com and read up on cast bullets.
Bullets that are cast from wheelweights and or linotype are very hard and usually penetrate very well in both pistol and rifle bullets.
I don't know anything about bullets cast with Silver.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think a hardcast, wide nosed FP or SWC gives you about the best penetration in a handgun round. I carry a 4 5/8"RBH in .45colt as a trail gun & shoot a cast 300grWLFP. In wetpack penetration tests it goes almost 20". Now the whole is only 1/2" but it will shoot thru any deer from any angle, I'm sure of that. There are such a good variety of cast pistol bullets now you really don't have to cast your own. Do a search for cast lead bullets & see all the diff. manuf.
As far as leading, I've found a properly sized & lubed bullet, cast from lynotype or sim. blend of alloy, leads very little especially from the larger bores. The .357mag is notorious for leading @ higher vel. A 1200fps you should have no trouble. I think the silver you aked about is the alloy blend in Oregon Trails cast bullets. www.laser-cast.com/Laser_CastBullets.html It's really more for casting ability & makes the bullets look really nice, but I doubt it helps leading much. Clean out the copper or clean out the lead, there is no free lunch.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outdoorsman:
I have been reloading 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 444 Marlin, and soon 500 S&W. I know cast bullets are cheaper than jacketed or Barnes bullets. My velocities range from 1,200-2,000 F.P.S. Do I need to worry about leading with cast bullets? NOT IF THEY ARE THE CORRECT HARDNESS FOR THE VELOCITY TO WHICH YOU HAVE LOADED THEM.What about the cast bullets that are made with silver. Are these better? NO, THAT'S MARKETING HYPE. (Unless you are the Lone Ranger) Is a cast or jacketed bullet better for penetrating deer and black bear? A WFN OR SEMI-WADCUTTER CAST BULLET WILL OUT-PENETRATE A SOFT-NOSE JACKETED BULLET EVERY TIME, AND THOSE BIG NOSES MAKE JUST AS BIG A PERMANENT WOUND CHANNEL AS THE JACKETED ONES! PLUS A LONGER ONE! Are they both equivalent in accuracy?FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES, YES!! I KNOW OF NO REAL JUSTIFICATION FOR USING JACKETED BULLETS IN ANY PISTOL, EXCEPT A SEMI-AUTO FOR FEEDING PURPOSES, IN WHICH CASE A JACKETED SOFTPOINT DOESN'T FEED AS WELL AS A HARD CAST BULLET!! SOME GUNS WILL SHOOT JACKETED BULLETS MORE ACCURATELY, AND SOME ARE JUST THE OPPOSITE, PREFERRING CAST SLUGS.

Thank You in advance!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote