Notify
Tools

Best 5.56 AR powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Simple....I want a ball powder for my 5.56

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aa-2230, or the next slower speed aa-2520 depending on your bullet weight.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good powders for the .223/5.56mm. I like the one specifically developed for it, WC-844, which is identically speced to Hodgdon 335. This powder is also quite similar to AA 2230. WC-846 (spec Hodgdon BL-C2) also works fine.

If you want to go a bit more economical, AA 2200 "Data Powder" is now available again. It is a bit faster than the powders named above, so you use a few grains less. However, it achieves respectable velocities and is very consistent in its performance.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I asked "ball powder" for speed of throw....

I just stepped into the dark world of the black rifle and will need to crank out lots of handloads....

I have even looked into a progressive press....man what have I started?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
might want to check out the new cre powder that is supposed to eliminate copper fouling

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, I use WW748 in mine and it works very nicely. Somewhere around 26 grains should do it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
might want to check out the new cre powder that is supposed to eliminate copper fouling

Who makes this.....google didn't help

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hodgdons CFE223

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
For black rifles there's no reason to avoid what Unlce Sam uses: WC844. Carefull loading will get you within 1/4 MOA of what the best match powders can do for 1/3 the price. WC 846 is even cheaper and performs well like Stonecreek says.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Who sells this WC powder

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my WC844 from Widener's on-line when they had a special. I just checked and they show it is out-of-stock.

Pat's Reloading on-line shows that they have it.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
H335 is hard to beat in the .223.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Who sells this WC powder

Pat's Reloading
Powder Valley
Jeff Bartlett's

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found the difference between WC-844 and H-335 to be about what you would expect between different lots of the same powder -- perhaps 25 fps one way or the other with the same loads. WC-844 is only sold in bulk (8-lb containers) and when available is usually cheaper than H-335, but I use them more or less interchagably.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you have a hard time finding the WC powders, h335 is nice to work with. I just started using it and out of my redding powder measure its easy to thow consistent loads. Brass prep took me the longest amount of time, loading went fast!

Posts: 22 | Location: NW N.M. | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Pat's is selling WC844 for $85/8lbs right now. The HAZMAT fee makes buying 8lbs npt as attractive. So I usually buy all I can get on one HAZMAT fee.

They have ohter as well, for magnums like WC872, 867 or 860 at similar or better prices. He has one called WC297 wich is very close to W296 or H110. So you can mix and match a lot of useful powders on one HAZMAST fee.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I bought the WC 844 from Jeff Bartlett, and use it exclusively for my varmint shooting, 50 to 55 grain bullets and plinking, with both an AR, and several bolt guns. In other applications and with heavier bullets, I use IMR 3031 & 4895, FYI.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook Ramshot TAC....

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked group sizes for a 20" poly 3 Bison match bbl in an AR with the powders I had available. The trend of group sizes with 55 gr NBTs, 60 gr NPTs, and 69 gr SMKs was:

H335 > H322 > AA2200 > RL-15.

The AA2200 groups were quite good (1/2 to 3/4" at 100 yds) and the RL-15 groups were superb (less than 3/8"). I realize RL-15 is not a ball powder ... I use it only for accuracy loads myself with bullets as heavy as 77 gr.

Obviously your experience may be different than mine.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote