THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Up Country South Carolina Reloading Supply Source

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up Country South Carolina Reloading Supply Source
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,
I am moving to Pickens SC the first of next month. That is about 20 miles NW of Greenville. Does anyone have a good CHEAP source of supplies in that area? I would appreciate any help that could be offered and I will thank you in advance for your assistance.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bless you....you are moving to my old stomping grounds. My 550 acre family farm was covered up by Lake Keowee many years ago. You will love the upcountry! There are some nice sized deer up that way, mostly on private land though. Hunting land nowadays might be hard to come by up that way, other than Ntl Forest.

Anyway, Gradys in Anderson has about the best selection of reloading in the upstate area, but it can be pricey. There is another store in Anderson that has good reloading supplies as well...named something like "Bass & Bucks" or something like that...good folks there as well. Get ready to drastically alter your style of fishing once you move up there...nothing like in the Jax area. Good fishing...just different. Take it easy. I live in SW Ga now.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
Bless you....you are moving to my old stomping grounds. My 550 acre family farm was covered up by Lake Keowee many years ago. You will love the upcountry! There are some nice sized deer up that way, mostly on private land though. Hunting land nowadays might be hard to come by up that way, other than Ntl Forest.

Anyway, Gradys in Anderson has about the best selection of reloading in the upstate area, but it can be pricey. There is another store in Anderson that has good reloading supplies as well...named something like "Bass & Bucks" or something like that...good folks there as well. Get ready to drastically alter your style of fishing once you move up there...nothing like in the Jax area. Good fishing...just different. Take it easy. I live in SW Ga now.

Hank,
Thanks for the reply. I have a notion of how you feel. Some of my families land now rest under Norris Lake in East Tennessee. I am going to live with my best friend from High School. Both of our bodies are wearing out so we are just going piddle along and take live easy. I will hunt and we both weill fish. I am a fly fisherman and see that there is some of that there, bjut we probably witll lake fish a lot as he has a good boat. I will be working part with the school systems up there and I am really looking forweard tyo the move. I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY BOX SO i WILL END NOW AND GET BACK TO YOU LATER

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really need to go see Rex's Guns and Ammo in East Flat Rock, NC. It will be a bit of drive (40-50 miles) but worth the effort. In my opinion, his selection and prices are much better than what you'll find at Grady's. Nothing wrong with Grady's it is just more of a general purpose outdoors store while Rex's place is very much shooting and reloading oriented.

Did a good bit of shopping up there while living in Spartanburg. Good people up there as well.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a HUGE hardware store on the South side of Anderson called White-Jones, or there used to be. It has a large Gun department to the right as you go in the door. But I'm not sure it was selling any Reloading Supplies.

Best time to go there is on a rainy Saturday so you can spend the entire day roaming around looking at all the stuff they have. You can spend an hour in the Chainsaws.

Occasionally you will find some stuff at the Jockey Lot which is a large Flea Market. Wear comfortable shoes.
---

But the very best thing you can do is to monitor this C&E Gun Shows for when their Gun Shows will be in Charlotte. They have them at Metrolina for about $7 and the parking is FREE.

They normally have 2-3 large buildings full of all kinds of stuff. Best to go through the entire Show and make notes of where you see stuff you are interested in along with the price, but keep walking and checking. Then go back and get it.

When you enter Building 1 go all the way to the back right corner and you can normally get some good prices on Reloading Supplies. They are YANKEES, so you have to watch closely that the "Scanned Price" is the same as on the Price Tag. They will whine when you catch them, but will give you the price on the Tag.

Over in Building 2, you also go to the back right corner and there is "Beanies" selling Linotype Bullets, some jacketed bullets, tumblers, media, bullet boxes and such stuff. He even sells some with Gas Checks and if you don't see what you really want be sure to ask him if he makes it. He might have some that just aren't on the tables, or can ship you some. He is a GREAT guy to deal with.

Directly across the aisle from Beanies is another Reloading Supply vendor and they also have some occasionally good prices.

Then scattered about both Building 1 and 2 are other vendors with Reloading Supplies. It just depends on the particular Show about who all will be there.

Sign-up for any Door Prizes or Raffles you see as you enter Building one with the Hooter's gals and that generally gets you on the Mailing List for other Gun Shows.

It can take 4-8 hours to go through the Show depending on who all is there. Again, comfortable shoes help on the concrete.

Charlotte has more Gun Shows that you can hear about including the Gun Collector's Show(s) at the Merchandise Mart. Good deal to join because you get in all those Shows for FREE and they even have a HUGE breakfast once a year before one of the Shows.
---

Greenville has Gun Shows too at the Carolina Metro Plex out at the Fairgrounds on Whitehorse Road. These are C&E Gun Shows too, so you can see when they will be there at the above link.

Once you go to a Charlotte Gun Show, it really spoils you on going to the others though, including the ones in Atlanta.
---

There is an excellent RMEF Chapter in Charlotte and if you would like to attend one of their Banquets, I can hook you up with the Regional Manager. Lots of good food, inexpensive Raffels, Drawings, Presentations and a fine place to take the ENTIRE family for an evening. Kids are encouraged to come as well as the wife.

The Gun Shops in Charlotte can be a bit expensive. But, you might sneak up on a deal too. Best thing is to have a List of stuff you are interested in along with the cheapest price you can find on the net and then see if you can locate a deal.
---

HUGE Bass Pro Shop right on up the Interstate at the Concord Mills Mall. As you go up I-85 it will be on your left. Way too BIG to miss seeing.
---

Haven't been to a Columbia or Charleston Gun Shop in a very long time, but they used to have some nice ones. Always good for a day trip. New $650M bridge going out to the Isle of Palms that is worth seeing. I hear tell the "Trawler" resturant is gone now. Don't know if the "Lorali" is still out there or not. Never a problem to find good food for the family there though.
---

Get a Rules & Regs Book at your local Wal-Mart or wherever and study it closely. The Rules are just a bit different from Game Zone to Game Zone, but they are clearly spelled out. Still plenty of Game Management land to hunt. But once you get settled in, you might want to try a Hunt Club or two. Best to go as a Guest a couple of times if you can work that out until you see if it is one that "fits" your Hunting Style closely. Some are just better than others and cost is not always an indicator of which is the best ones to get in.
---

There might be a FREE Range over near Greenville, but I'm not sure. There is one at Wood's Ferry located Southwest of Chester. Covered benches, but it is only 25yds and 100yds long. Going there near Deer Season can get you lots of Once-Fired Cases, but it sure is busy.

Anyway, I sure miss being there.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
There is also a HUGE hardware store on the South side of Anderson called White-Jones, or there used to be. It has a large Gun department to the right as you go in the door. But I'm not sure it was selling any Reloading Supplies.

Best time to go there is on a rainy Saturday so you can spend the entire day roaming around looking at all the stuff they have. You can spend an hour in the Chainsaws.

Occasionally you will find some stuff at the Jockey Lot which is a large Flea Market. Wear comfortable shoes.
---

But the very best thing you can do is to monitor this C&E Gun Shows for when their Gun Shows will be in Charlotte. They have them at Metrolina for about $7 and the parking is FREE.

They normally have 2-3 large buildings full of all kinds of stuff. Best to go through the entire Show and make notes of where you see stuff you are interested in along with the price, but keep walking and checking. Then go back and get it.

When you enter Building 1 go all the way to the back right corner and you can normally get some good prices on Reloading Supplies. They are YANKEES, so you have to watch closely that the "Scanned Price" is the same as on the Price Tag. They will whine when you catch them, but will give you the price on the Tag.

Over in Building 2, you also go to the back right corner and there is "Beanies" selling Linotype Bullets, some jacketed bullets, tumblers, media, bullet boxes and such stuff. He even sells some with Gas Checks and if you don't see what you really want be sure to ask him if he makes it. He might have some that just aren't on the tables, or can ship you some. He is a GREAT guy to deal with.

Directly across the aisle from Beanies is another Reloading Supply vendor and they also have some occasionally good prices.

Then scattered about both Building 1 and 2 are other vendors with Reloading Supplies. It just depends on the particular Show about who all will be there.

Sign-up for any Door Prizes or Raffles you see as you enter Building one with the Hooter's gals and that generally gets you on the Mailing List for other Gun Shows.

It can take 4-8 hours to go through the Show depending on who all is there. Again, comfortable shoes help on the concrete.

Charlotte has more Gun Shows that you can hear about including the Gun Collector's Show(s) at the Merchandise Mart. Good deal to join because you get in all those Shows for FREE and they even have a HUGE breakfast once a year before one of the Shows.
---

Greenville has Gun Shows too at the Carolina Metro Plex out at the Fairgrounds on Whitehorse Road. These are C&E Gun Shows too, so you can see when they will be there at the above link.

Once you go to a Charlotte Gun Show, it really spoils you on going to the others though, including the ones in Atlanta.
---

There is an excellent RMEF Chapter in Charlotte and if you would like to attend one of their Banquets, I can hook you up with the Regional Manager. Lots of good food, inexpensive Raffels, Drawings, Presentations and a fine place to take the ENTIRE family for an evening. Kids are encouraged to come as well as the wife.

The Gun Shops in Charlotte can be a bit expensive. But, you might sneak up on a deal too. Best thing is to have a List of stuff you are interested in along with the cheapest price you can find on the net and then see if you can locate a deal.
---

HUGE Bass Pro Shop right on up the Interstate at the Concord Mills Mall. As you go up I-85 it will be on your left. Way too BIG to miss seeing.
---

Haven't been to a Columbia or Charleston Gun Shop in a very long time, but they used to have some nice ones. Always good for a day trip. New $650M bridge going out to the Isle of Palms that is worth seeing. I hear tell the "Trawler" resturant is gone now. Don't know if the "Lorali" is still out there or not. Never a problem to find good food for the family there though.
---

Get a Rules & Regs Book at your local Wal-Mart or wherever and study it closely. The Rules are just a bit different from Game Zone to Game Zone, but they are clearly spelled out. Still plenty of Game Management land to hunt. But once you get settled in, you might want to try a Hunt Club or two. Best to go as a Guest a couple of times if you can work that out until you see if it is one that "fits" your Hunting Style closely. Some are just better than others and cost is not always an indicator of which is the best ones to get in.
---

There might be a FREE Range over near Greenville, but I'm not sure. There is one at Wood's Ferry located Southwest of Chester. Covered benches, but it is only 25yds and 100yds long. Going there near Deer Season can get you lots of Once-Fired Cases, but it sure is busy.

Anyway, I sure miss being there.

Best of luck to you.

Damn HotCore,
Thanks for all the info.
Where are you now?
I hope not up with the damn Yankees. I had to laugh when you said to watch the Yanks, but I feel the same way. One of my ancesters had 7 sons that went to THE WAR and 5 did not come back. Two died in one battle. The Yanks just don't understand what it was like to be invaded and they only got a small dose at Gburg. As you might note, I am a history teacher.
Do you have any idea what it cost to join a hunt club? I am going to be hard pressed for funds, but I am looking to keep the freezer full of venison. I like it and it is better for you than beef.
I have visited the SCDNR site and it is quite good, but it could be layed out better. THere is also a good forum that they post, but do not regulate.
I like the Speer bullets also. My only remaining rifle LOVES THEM, especially the flat based ones. The 100 gr spire point delivers sub MOA 5 shot groups and I can get almost 32oo fps out of the 24" barrel. The pressure is pushing it, but no bolt stick or overly flattened primer pockets and since I don't feed it that as a steady diet I can live with it.
Thanks again,
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack, Having to spend some time in KY at the moment. Looking forward to being able to get back to the Carolinas in the future though.

The Hunt Clubs are quite similar to buying cars - you can pay as much as you can imagine, or a reasonable amount. Some can be as inexpensive as $500 a year with a couple of Work Days for everyone. You might only get access to the land and nothing else.

Or you might find a Club with an old farm house and some bunk beds, a place to park a small trailer during the Season, a Skinning Shed and Cooler. Some are near Processors, or you can process the meat yourself.

Some are primarily set up for Dog Hunting, some for Stand & Still hunting,and some for a combination of all.

Some have year around activities like varmints, hogs, turkey and fishing, plus places for family picnics. There are some with First Class accomodations and a staff to look after the members needs. Just about any amount of money a person would want to spend.

It just depends on what style hunting you enjoy and how much effort you want to put into it.
---

Lots of Game Management Land available which requires a Permit, but it isn't expensive. Plus you can roam around on the GMA land during the off-season to locate places that you believe will hold Deer in the Fall. Old "Rubs" stand out well as you scout the areas and indicate where they have been hanging out.

If you do a good bit of woods/swamp roaming, it is best to carry a 6" revolver with Snake Shot because of the snakes. I use the Speer Shot Capsules that I load myself, but there are commercial shot cartridges available. I have a couple in the first two cylinders and then regular Loads in the remaining cylinders.

You can get GMA Maps at the small country stores that used to serve as Check-In Stations. I believe Check-In has been phased out, but it would be best to check the Rules & Regs book to make sure. A lot of these stores run Big Buck contests and can be a good place to ask about local Hunt Clubs. Just buy a soda pop and listen to the locals. You will have found a good one if you notice some "loafing chairs" scattered about.

Go to BBQ restaurants and Fish Houses to see if anyone is wearing Camo during the off-season. If so, strike up a conversation with them.

Finding a good place to hunt is as difficult as you want to make it. The more effort you put into it, the easier it becomes to locate both good places to hunt as well as people you will enjoy hunting with. Doing this "Pre-Season Hunting" can consume the entire off-season and be quite rewarding.
---

You mentioned the SCDNR site and that Forum. You might want to contact some of those folks and see if they would be interested in going to the Range with you. It has been years since I was at that web site, but I seem to remember some of those folks lived near the Leeds Range at Woods Ferry. Some may have lived near Sharon and York, SC, which are relatively close to that Range.

The main thing is to just get out in the country and go s-l-o-w through the small towns. Meet the people and don't expect to find exactly what you are looking for overnight. It might take a couple of years.

The best hunting buddy I've ever had was met through his brother that I worked with. You just have to keep Hunting on your mind and casually mention that you enjoy being out in the woods and swamps anytime you meet someone. They may not be the person you are looking for, but they might be the one to introduce you to that person.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a free gun range half way between Pickens and Easley. It is a DNR range that has pistol and rifle benches. The Greenville Gun Club is $150 a year but has rifle, pistol, trap, skeet and 5station. For gun supplies, check out J&S in Easley. The ladies will order anything you want, if it is not in stock.

Posts: 36 | Location: greenville, sc | Registered: 27 January 2005Reply With Quote