New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chrono35P & GS Custom
 Login/Join

<Santa Claus>
posted
With all the talk about getting more velocity from Gerards Bullets, I was curious. I have always wanted a chrono to check out my loads, but never got one. Well, I received an Oehler 35P Yesterday, ans as a side note, if you guys don't have a chrono, you are missing out on some outright damn fun times. My first load out of the box was 150grn Noslers from a pre64 270 my father gave me many years ago. Average velocity was 2993, with a SD of 7. My second batch was a model 600 308win my father gave me along time ago also. Velocity was 2838 with 18" barrel and a SD 10. 3rd up was a Remington 300win, with 180Sierra Average was 3160 with SD 13.I put in some GS custom 160 HP's and was gettting 3300fps with a SD 8 Now the good part, I pulled out my Miller 300wby...180grn Sierra, avg 3215 with SD 7,...168 grn Matchking, average 3366 sd 11. I only had 2 GS 173HV left, and I had already worked up a decent load for it, but did not have a chrono to check them. I still have room to move up, but not much, these 2 averaged 3401fps, with a SD 7, no pressure signs, and will continue to work up some more when I get some. I had a great time doing it, learned that all these accurateloads I have been shooting for years are actually great loads on a chrono.. If you don't have one GET ONE..........Now I know that what Gerard has been preaching is the truth. Great Velocity, and great acurracy.. I can prove it

[This message has been edited by Santa Claus (edited 10-28-2001).]

<Bill>
posted
Love my Oelher!

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Oehler!

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
HEY SANTA--could you share the load with us that got that nice velocity on the gs bullets. ALSO--what twist is that barrel?
I simply have got to try those bullets sometime.

<Santa Claus>
posted
That particular load was 88grn IMR7828,as soon as I get some more I will work it on up. I am sure I can make it to 90, but be VERY careful, and work up your own load. This is not in any book, and could get dangerous if you are not careful. I already have a friend that has worked up a load of the 173HV with RL22, and was getting 3450fps, and that was his safe load, as he won't go far enough to get into high pressure situations

Later