THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    TUBB Final Finish bore polishing system ????????

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TUBB Final Finish bore polishing system ????????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted
HI All
Has anyone used or know of any information regarding the TUUBB's bore polishing system??? I guess an even more important question: Does a new rifle gain any accuracy by using this system as opposed to putting the barrel through a good break-in period?????
Thanks for all the help....

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff here on Tubb's

http://www.jarheadtop.com/articles.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I tried it out on a new rifle that I bought that had a rough looking bore. Even as I was using "the system", it was showing great promise. The first load I put together shoots into .6-.7 MOA consistently. I don't know if it helped the accuracy, but the bore looks like a mirror now, and the accuracy is good. By the way, I skipped the first (roughest) grade. I had never fired the rifle before using Final Finish. It was pretty much an experiment for me, and I consider it successful.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I used it on my .308. It was pretty accurate, but the fire lapping helped tighten up the groups and reduced some of the copper fouling.

I had good results.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used it on a Rem 700. I felt it was a waste of time and money.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have tried "fire-lapping" several times, though the kits I used were the "NECO" kits, not Dave Tubb's. (His weren't on the market yet.)

My experience some years ago mirrors the "common knowledge" on the process. Fire-lapping an almost worthless chrome-lined Bushmaster .223 barrel turned it into a fairly decent shooter. Fire-lapping an almost new high-dollar benchrest barrel in a quest for national-match winning accuracy seriously worsened the accuracy instead.

So....I'd say if you have a poor shooting barrel, fire-lapping likely may help. If you have a barrel which is already a good shooter, it ain't broke. Don't fix it by pushing high pressured grit through the bore.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
I HAVE READ REPORTS WHERE THE USE OF FIRE LAPPING CAN SHOOT OUT THE THROAT OF A RIFLE AND ACTUALLY INCREASE THE LEADE IN A RIFLE.

I'M NOT ABOUT TO EXPERIMENT WITH MY FIREARMS. THANKS.

IF YOU HAVE A POS FOR A BARREL I GUES IT COULDN'T HURT. IT'S LIKE CHICKEN SOUP.

I BUY QUALITY BARRELS AND USE PROPER SHOOTING AND BREAK IN PROCEDURES AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

DAVID TUBB DOESN'T HAVE TO BUY HIS BARRELS, HE HAS SPONSERS AND HAS TONS OF MONEY. US WORKING JERKS HAVE TO WATCH OUR P'S AND Q'S.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used it on a late model Rem 700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08 with a very rough barrel - as seen through a bore scope. It shoots about 30% better but cleans a 100% easier. As I ran through the process I could tell a difference in the cleaning. The throat did move forward about .020. I picked up about 20 fps.

Note! in my experience, I got the barrel totaly free of copper before I started and between each 10 rounds using Barnes CR-10. It was a lot of work. Took over three hours at the range of mostly cleaning. Some one at the range had a bore scope and let me use it a few times for inspection. One treatment with Wipe-Out cleans it now.

Will be using on my 338 soon.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of firelapping. Specifically the Final Finish system.

David Tubb or Glenn Zediker aren't doing anything to a barrel that they don't think enhances the performance of it, regardless of what it cost (i.e. it was given them by a 'sponsor').

I've not seen it negatively affect a rifles accuracty EVER. I am personally familiar with over 50 rifles having been through the final finish system. All of these rifles were early in the barrels life, less than a 100 rounds for sure, and many having started with the system as the 20th or 30th round to go through.

Having said that, Alberta Canuck is an experienced rifleman, and if he says he had an already decent shooting rifle that firelapping negatively impacted, I know he knows what he is talking about. If I recall his post it wasn't with the Final Finish system though, but I doubt that would have mattered. I do recall that the final finish data saves a few of the bullets for what they term throat maintenance, and they give some emperical and interpretive data as to when the throat may be eroded enough to warrant use of these bullets.

I will state that I have only a few of my 25 or so rifles that haven't been through the process, since they had many hundreds and perhaps a few thousand rounds through them before I learned of the final finish system.

I feel every barrel of mine performs better than if I had not used the system. All of my rifles had at least 50 or 60 rounds through them to make some baseline estimate of accuracy, and ALL of them improved after using the final finish system. I have seen drastic improvement in a few rifles that I have assisted in administering the final finish system on. One of these rifles was a decent shooting chorme moly winchester model 70, went from 1.75" at 100 yards consistently to under 1" consistently with the same ammo.

My experiences are obviously VERY positive.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your great insight......

I started this weekend by fire-lapping my new Tikka T3 with good results. ~1"groups using 165 gr Barnes TSX rounds, 59gr IMR 4350 & Federal GM210M primers. Even though 1" groups are very good out of a factory barrel, I want to try the Final Finish system & see if that & a tweeked load will get the groups tighter

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the main benefit of Tubbs Final Finish is it smooths out the rough spots in the barrel so copper fouling has nothing to cling to or build on. Copper fouls in layers, and any imperfections in the barrel just serves as a base for future fouling. In the case of copper it can become pretty bad. I've never used Tubbs, but it does seem quite popular.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote