Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AUTOMATIC COLT CALIBRE 38 RIMLESS SMOKELESS
 Login/Join

posted
I just posted this elsewhere on the forum and realized I should have done so here...

I just acquired a 1902 Colt Auto in good condition and am having trouble finding reliable load data (yes, I know to stay away from 38 Super data). I have #5 and Universal available already (but will buy whtever I need), CCI 500's, and both Win and Rem brass, and plan to use 115 plated .355 bullets. Does ayone have reliable published data I can try?

Thanks!

Posts: 10 | Location: Sacramento California USA | Registered: 15 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the recommendation by Lyman in its manuals of yesteryear was to take the "starting loads" of .38 Super ACP and use them or cut them 0.5 grains to 1 grain and work up, but do NOT exceed "starting loads." I wouldn't shoot that gun much. Real treasure. LUCK.

posted Hide Post
Thanks iiranger.

Could someone out there with older reloading manuals possibly check to see if you have data and post it here? That would relly hep me.

Thanks again!

Posts: 10 | Location: Sacramento California USA | Registered: 15 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your cartridge designation is new to me and I've been loading a long time. Might it be the same as what we now call a .380ACP?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's not .380 ACP.

38 ACP or 38 Auto[matic] - it's obsolete. It's actually the predacessor to the 38 Super (the transition from 38 Auto to 38 Super happened 1928 - 1929). The case dimensions are identical, but the 38 Super is much higher pressure.

posted Hide Post
I meant to also add the "AUTOMATIC COLT CALIBRE 38 RIMLESS SMOKELESS" designation is actually stamped on the slide.

posted Hide Post
Hard to beleive no one here has an old manual they could've checked - sheesh!

I managed to locate one reliable source and tested 3 loads (5 rounds each this past weekend):

Win 115 grain FMJ .355 bullet
Rem 38 Super +p nickle plated cases (no 38 auto brasss found)
CCI small pistol primers
AA #5 as follows…

5.7 gr = 835 fps 0.2 gr below min listed charge - just to be cautious; very soft recoil, 3rd round failed to eject - powder burns on exterior of case - slide difficult to open (?)

5.9 gr = 870 fps min listed charge - 2nd round stove-piped

6.1 gr = 910 fps 0.2 gr above min listed charge - cycled action reliably; not going any higher since this one functions the action well

My guess is that the fps numbers are low due to barrel wear/condition. I could use .356 bullets, but see no need as it will only be an occasional plinker (mainly just to show it off!) and I don't want any higher pressures than absolutely neccessary to function.

Regards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From instructions given in the Lyman 45 Edition

Use bullets of 133 grains or less.
Reduce 38 Super starting loads 1/2 grain.
Work up to starting load.

DO NOT INCREASE.

These are the Starting Loads with a 130gr jacketed bullet. I have NOT reduced them 1/2 grain.

Bullseye 3.4gr 870fps

Unique 5 gr 961fps

Herco 5.5gr 974fps

Red Dot 3.5gr 825fps

Hope this info helps. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Lyman's Handbook of Cast Bullets (1958):

.38 Colt Auto, 125gr cast bullet, plain base.
4.0 - 4.7 Bullseye, 1000 - 1145 fps
4.6 - 7.0 Unique, 915 - 1270 fps

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2 and craigster - thank you!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome.

Those old Colts are classics for sure.

I always wanted one of the old Colts in 380.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had no knowledge of this model before my neighbor brought it out to show me about a year ago. He knew I was active in shooting sports and hunting, and offered to sell it to me for $400. Needing another handgun like I need a hole in the head, I told him it was real cool, but just not interested. So, early last month he asks again, I look it over (broken grip, missing escutcheon and screw but otherwise in decent shape), and we make a deal - $175 and a 12-pack of Bud light!

I has such a smooth, sweet feel - I like the proportions and the balance. And, I'm the only kid on the block with one!