Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forster Co Ax or Redding T-7
 Login/Join

posted
New to reloading and ready for my first press. I will only be reloading 45LC and 9mm. No rifle reloading (.22LR rifle) and just casual shooting at the range. No competition. My shooting volume is very low, something in the neighborhood of 150 rds/month. I would expect to reload ~50 rounds at a sitting.

I poured over untold numbers of discussions on reloading forums and countless YouTube videos and was convinced that I would get a Forster Co Ax. I've since thought that maybe to the T-7 is a good choice too.

I'm not interested in a progressive of any stripe including the Dillon BL 550. I'd rather focus on each phase of reloading and take my time. I neither need nor want to produce lots of ammo. If, at a later date, a Dillon is in cards, so be it. I'll just get it then but for now it's not in the cards.

Given the above would the Redding T-7 be my best bet or was my original assessment of the Co Ax more on target?

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
T-7,, I have a Dillon 550 & a T-7,,life is complete!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the Co-ax for cartridges up to 500NE.

Good luck

DRSS

Posts: 1970 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick one and don't look back. Either will do you proud. There is no such thing as a "perfect" press. Each has its strengths ane weakness and it is all too easy to overthink it and paralyze yourself from making a decision. If you really get into reloading it won't be your last press anyway, so pick one.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a Dillon 550B for pistol and a Forster Co Ax for rifle hunting loads. If I wanted to spray and pray I would use the 550B be it pistol or rifle. But I don't think you would go wrong with a Redding T-7 I had a Lyman turret press for years but I gave it to one of my cousins it required a special shell holder.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

there is ONE. The A4.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there is the A4, it and some of the Hollywood presses come close. Even so I would never be satisfied with just one press. It's like having one rifle for every thing from mice to mammoth.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a T7 and love it, but I've heard so many good things about the Co-Ax that I'd buy one without hesitation. If I didn't have 4 presses, I'd already own a Co-Ax.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For a new handloader I recomend a less expensive press and focus more money towards ammo expendabls

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Not to be contrary but when I started reloading in 97 or 98 I started with .45ACP and an RCBS Rockchucker. After loading a couple hundred rounds a month I realized I was spending more time loading than shooting. I moved up to a Lee Loadmaster for pistol and the RCBS for rifle. Then I added a T-7 for rifle so I didn't have to swap dies. Recently I replaced the Loadmaster with a 650 to speed up short and mid range rifle ammo also. The RCBS isn't mounted now and I use a portable monut Redding for collet pulling. The Loadmaster is.for said locally.

I have seen videos of using a T-7 for pistol, I haven't tried it but for rifle I use it for rounds out to 1K. I would trust a T-7 for anything.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with either one, both presses would serve you well. I use the Forster Co-Ax myself for rifle rounds and hope to start loading pistol (45 ACP) in the near future.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, if I were only loading two handgun calibers I'd pick up a used "C" press in exchange for a six pack of beer or so. But if you don't mind spending the money, either of the presses you name are excellent machines.

The .45 ACP and 9mm both use three dies (resizer, decap/expander, seater). The Redding T7 with its seven die stations will allow you to mount all of your dies "permanently" so that you won't have to change dies as you would with a single station press. I think I'd opt for it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the Co-Ax press the die's slide in and out of the holder they don't screw in so once your die's are set it only takes a few seconds to change them out.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best press is the one you like the most!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Co Ax, hands down the winner.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the Co-ax, but the T7 I use.
I have the T7 mounted next to a Redding Ultra-Mag. I use both almost every time I am loading. I find it handy to have both available.
This is the culmination of many years trying to get the best setup for what I was trying to accomplish. I am very happy with the result.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I have a Co-Ax and can't be happier. I reload .375 H&H, 8x57JS, .460 Rowland etc. on it.

Great design. Simple die change. Even priming small quantities of brass is a piece of cake.

Jiri

Posts: 2104 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote