New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At my age (bifocals) I'm having great difficulty with or without glasses (especially in dim/low light conditions) to read brass case stampings/cartridge designations on brass.

Is there anything on the market or someone with a good idea for something that could be wiped on that would "highlight", contrast them or make them stand out?
bewildered

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue the end to separate them.
Or blue the end and polisch the bottom to highlight the text.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of those cheap gooseneck illuminated
lights would work wonders for you.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:

I was thinking along the same lines but the round ring light with a magnafier in the center workes great!

cheap one here!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a jeweler's loupe or try coloring the heads with some colored chalk and wipe it away with a finger or thumb. The chalk will still lay in the recessed areas to read and can easily be removed with a brush or tumbled.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Wipe the base of the case across a paper towel dampened with some sort of solvent. My favorite is lighter fluid.
Steal a bottle of nail polish from wife and color the base and wipe on towel to remove excess.
You can color coordinate the base with caliber,

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My optometrist made a mistake with my reading glasses and you can't see a damn thing with them if it is further away than about 12". But, lordy, if you get that little booger within a foot of your face you can see the E-coli crawling across its surface.

Ask your optometrist about some ultra-close-up specs.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:

I have just this thing with a magnifying glass - (about six inches across) - that works wonders for just such a thing.

Similar to this but I don't think I paid that much.

http://www.amazon.com/Daylight...id=1300812419&sr=8-4

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend a trip to my automated eye doctor at Dollar General. 2.0 works for me!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
I highly recommend a trip to my automated eye doctor at Dollar General. 2.0 works for me!

I started going there about two years ago. Big Grin

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I get mine 2.5's at Walgreens but have found w/o paying a fortune I lose more of the damn cheap ones! No easy answer for aging eyes.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A magnifying glass is cheap and portable.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the rigid headband thingie when I'm reloading. It has a pair of magnifying glasses in a box looking thing that flips down in front of your eyes when you need it and you can flip it up out of the way when you don't. It sounds ackward but really isn't. I think I got mine from Midway @$15.00.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on wasbeeman's post. Don't forget to take off your "cheater's" before tryint to use it as magnification upon magnification seems to be ackward.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote