New
Find
Notify
Tools

LNL Progressive Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK.. Just got setup and I'm having a bit of a problem with the primers feeding into the shell holder. I loosened the primer tube and that helped with the binding but now the primers are not seating properly and it is jamming up the whole process.

I spray the primers pockets with some dry lube and this helped.

Any other ideas...or is this just a "new" break in issue...

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Try adjusting the primer cam feed (#18 in the manual) by loosening the hex screw that holds the primer feed cam bracket (#8) and primer feed cam to the press. I found that the primer slide was not going fully forward and hence, primers were being forced into primer pockets mis-aligned.

Worth a try. Made life much easier once I got it sorted out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll give it a try but first some more information from you.
What cartridge are you reloading?
Any chance of case having a military crimp?

As I read your post you seem to indicate that the problem is getting the primer into the case---yes?
If so, the only thing I can think of is perhaps a bit of dirt or a few flakes of powder that have gotten into the primer seater-it's that small little round thing that screws into the base of the press-you might try to back it out and either spray it with brake cleaner or compressed air and then re-seat the thing and try again.
Mine is 4 + years old and I don't remember any "break in" issues.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Andrew is the guru for your issues, but I would throw in that I would not be spraying anything onto my cases to aid in primer seating. JMO, but I wouldn't want to have primers seated with anything but proper size and seating techniques.

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
Try adjusting the primer cam feed (#18 in the manual) by loosening the hex screw that holds the primer feed cam bracket (#8) and primer feed cam to the press. I found that the primer slide was not going fully forward and hence, primers were being forced into primer pockets mis-aligned.

Worth a try. Made life much easier once I got it sorted out.

I'll confirm that with my 20 year old Horn. Pro-Jector. The primer feed bucket was really sensitive to positioning.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andrew is the man...Seems to have solved the problem...Thanks.

<Andrew cempa>
posted
garyn;

I thought it was due to mil brass too (even though the crimps were reamed or swaged), so I tinkered until I saw the primer slide move fully forward when I released tension on the bracket screw... No more squashed primers and otehr wasted efforts.

Be sure to watch for a few powder grains from the odd spilled case-they seem to find the front of the primer cutout and prevent the slide from moving in fully as well.
Glad it helped

one of us
posted Hide Post
ive got an air gun right by my presses and blow out the primer slide about every couple hundred rounds. A can of compressed air for cleaning a computer key board would work too.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be sure to watch for a few powder grains from the odd spilled case-they seem to find the front of the primer cutout and prevent the slide from moving in fully as well.

Funny you should mention this but I 'm not sure I fully understand your description of the problem. I have noticed on my 9mm loads that occassionally the powder will spew out...and make a mess.

I therefore have the air can that Lloyd suggests..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a good place to put a "drain hole" there at the end of the slot in the sub-plate...

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote