New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra bullets in 8mm magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since Hornady no longer makes a 220 gr. in .323, I am looking at Sierras. I have noted in other posts some of the members of this website have stated that Sierras don't hold up. I would be using them in my custom 8 mag at about 2700-2800 fps. Any opinions? Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Bullet: Sierra 220 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail
Powder: 77.6 of H-4831
Primer: Remington 9-1/2M
Case: Remington
Firearm: Remington 700
Velocity: 2823 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Works just fine for me...but it is more than I need.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve-
Thanks for the info, but the question is--will the bullet hold up for use on large deer, elk or in a defensive situation a grizzly bear? By the way I have 150 rounds of Woodleigh 250 that I haven't worked up a load for.

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please indulge me with another dumb question. Due to an old shoulder injury I was forced to put a Kleingunther recoil on this 8 mag to reduce the recoil. This increased my brrel length to 26", does this affect velocity? If so, up or down. Just curious. Thanks-Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather use Nosler; or RUAG CDP; or Woodleigh; or Brenneke TOG; or Impala.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Sierra through an elks chest at about 80 yards, it penetrated and broke the offside leg on the way out.

That said, I used 220 grain Barnes Xs in Namibia this last fall and they worked fine. Dropped a gemsbock bull and a zebra stallion with one shot each.

There is also the Swift A-Frame that is accurate in my rifle, and I'm sure will work fine also.

Also, whichever you decide to use, try Reloader 25. In my rifle it edges out H-4831 in both accuracy and velocity.

Good luck, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My load was 83 gr RL 25 and 80 gr of H4831 with the 220 Sierra in my custom 8mm Mag. Velocity was 3100 fps from a 26" bbl.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote