New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS brass?
 Login/Join

<Delta Hunter>
posted
Does anyone have any experience with RWS brass? How does it compare to the other brands?

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've used it in 404 Jeffery and to reform into a wildcat from that brass. I found it to be about as good as it could get. It was consistent in weight and had the appearance of almost being machined inside and out.

In the wildcat I had been getting maximum about 5 reloads using Mast (Bell) brass. I have 28 reloads now on some of those cases and finally the pockets are getting a bit loose.

If I could use nothing but RWS brass, I'd be totally happy.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta Hunter:
Does anyone have any experience with RWS brass? How does it compare to the other brands?

RWS is pretty much the "home" brand in the Germanic part of Europe. Nice brass, have found it made out of a LOT harder alloy than normal brass, though. When you deburr a non-RWS case, you have to be a bit careful about not removing too much metal, so you go lightly on the pressure applied. Not so with RWS brass - you really have to lean on this stuff to make a discernable difference! I once had to trim some RWS 8x68 cases, and had great trouble because the burr created by the trim operation was so hard I could not remove the brass from the neck insert (forget technical term) of my Lyman trimmer. Grrrr! Occasionally I have encountered RWS 30-06 brass with rims so thick they would not fit my standard shell holders. In general, RWS brass has a good reputation over here, though.

- mike

[ 02-19-2003, 23:18: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I was given some RWS along with the .375 H&H they fit when I bought the rifle. I therefore have no idea of how many times these cases were loaded before I got my grubby hands on them; I have since loaded them about a dozen times.

I can say that these RWS cases are very uniform in weight, neck thickness and straightness (as measured by my RCBS tool). At least as good as Lapua non-magnum cases... and that is a compliment.

The only other calibre I used RWS brass in was 30-06 head size, and that brass seemed to last forever. However, back then I didn't weigh cases or measure concentricity so I cannot comment on that... I guess I have become more obsessed with accuracy as the years went by!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
Thanks guys for your input. I ordered some for my 7mm Rem Mag. and can't wait to give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta Hunter,

I would lay money that when you get it you will have to do absolutely nothing to it other than prime, charge and seat.

It comes perfectly sized and even the necks have a discernable chamfer. I never try to uniform RWS - I have only succeeded in making it less uniform!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote