THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why did the heavy bullet pull to the left?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From my 257 Roberts Ackley improved I shot 72 gr, 87 gr, and 110 gr.

The group of 110 gr holes was centered 2.5" to the left of the bullseye.

What would cause this?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Clark,

The barrel has harmonics like a rope when the gun is fired. The harmonics move in both horizontal and vertical planes. I suspect that the barrel harmonics are such that the heavy bullets exit the muzzle when it is pointing more to the left than the light bullets. Nothing to worry about, but good to know. That's why you always need to zero for that particular load.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill. In addition, there could be some uneven bedding which shows up with the 110's that might not show up with the others. You might want to check that out, but most rifles will group to a different point of impact with different weight bullets. It's a rare one that doesn't, and 2.5" of difference is not uncommon.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
finger on trigger pulled to right?
[Big Grin]

[ 11-22-2002, 21:15: Message edited by: John Y Cannuck ]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Max loads with 200gr BT's from my .338Winmag do this. 71gr. of H4350 and it's 2.5" high and center. Jump to the 73gr. max load and it's 3.5" hight and 3.5" right. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Are you by chance a southpaw?

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am right handed.
The rifle was right on with 72 and 87 before the 110 gr.
I shot the 110 with the ecentric point on top, the same as the lighter bullets.
After the 110, the rifle was still right on for the 72 gr.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
The rifle's recoil arc has the most to do with this.

The rifle doesn't recoil exactly straight up, it will arc slightly to one side or the other.

If the bullet you're firing has more barrel time (heavier bullets usually have more barrel time) it will exit the muzzle at a later point in the recoil arc. The liklihood that this point would be left or right of center is pretty good. The rifle usually arcs away from the barrel's twist rate because it is opposing the bullet's direction of twist.

If you fire the rifle from the standing position, you may notice a completely different POI again. This is due again to the recoil arc, which is altered to some degree when the shooter changes positions.

Take care,

Dan Newberry
green 788

<Reloader66>
posted
It is very rare for any rifle to place all weight bullets to the same point of impact. It is normal and to be expected. Experience reloading and time will show the novice reloader how and why a rifle shoots a certain weight bullet. You must readjust your thinking when it comes to reloading and how barrel harmonice work on a rifle. No two rifles will shoot the same no matter how perfect they are made.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Because the bullet wanted to get to the other side of the target?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5X555 Swede is the only one that will place bullets of different weights in the "same" place. After more than a century... nobody has figured out why this is so. It just is.

And that's enough for me.

<PaulS>
posted
Clark,
My bet goes to the right hand twist of the rifling. The heavier, slower bullets would twist the rifle more throwing the bullets to the left.

PaulS

<phurley>
posted
Clark -- To have two bullets of differing weight, same caliber, printing at the same point of impact on the target, would be very rare indeed. The variables are so great, it is nearly impossible. Even you will group the same bullet at slightly differing points on the target on different days. Those groups of different weight bullets, same caliber, may be several inchs apart on the target. I have only one rifle, and I shoot a dozen of my own and 20 others each year, that will do it. It is a .340 Wby, and it will put different weight bullets in virtually the same group on the target, those being 225 gr. and 250 grain North Forks. This is my experience, for what it is worth. [Wink] Good shooting.

<leo>
posted
I had a .280 rem. in a m77 ruger that would always throw the 165 grain roundnose cor-loks down and to the right alittle from where the 150 grain spitzer cor-loks would land.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here goes my SWAG (Scientific Wild A@@ GuessBig Grin)

The barrel twist is right hand, and the barrel vibrates at the same frequency every time you shoot those bullets. The bullets must be leaving the barrel when it (barrel) is moving left, so the shots hit left. Probably wrong, but that is how all of my SWAGs end up...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote