THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creating my own crimping groove, good or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a .454 Casull Enocre barrel with a throat that is horribly long, I can't reach the lands with a 370 gr. GC resting in a belled case and then inserted! i've decided to use the Lee factory crimp die to creat my own crimping groove just above the lube groove(s). Will this hurt my accuracy, and is it pointless to seat out as cfar as possible from an accuracy stadnpoint? It's my first straight-walled pistol case, and I try to seat my rifle bullets as close as possible to the lands. Let me know if I'm an idiot. [Smile]
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the Lee Factory Crimp Die you can crimp the bullet anywhere -- whether there's a crimping groove where you are crimping or not. And crimping by this method will probably increase your accuracy -- again, no matter where on the bullet it is done.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Lee claims that crimping with their tool increases accuracy. In some cases, it has done so. In others, it has made accuracy worse. My personal opinion is that bullet makers optimize the design of their projectiles for both optimum ballistic performance, and best accuracy. Anything YOU do to a bullet after you buy it is LIKELY to make it less optimum than it was when you opened the box.....