Find
Notify
Tools

Any one had this happen #2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Helllo all thanks for all the Insight, Now after a great deal of research I have found out what the problem is,after casting the chamber and measuring the exact chamber length to the lans WA LA! this rifle has no free bore with any load COAL, every load COAL in all 4 of my bullet loading manuals (Nosler#7, Sierra, Lyman 49, and Hornady) of witch I have bullets, The measurement for all of these bullets off the Lans is 0.001 that is just like sitting on the Lans, Longer story short I reduced the loads by 4gr. and seated the bullet to 0.10 off the lans and started load development from there, I now have the rifle shooting less than 1" groups at 400 yards. Thanks again for all the advice; Hopefully this might help someone that has the same problem with a new Savage Mod. 111! Happy shooting, Ray

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 106 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good shooting

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
<1" @ 400 Yards. WOW! Say again: gun and loads, please.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NBRSA take note = we have a new champ?

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, You are right butchloc!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you have got your rifle shooting but can you clarify a couple of things; you say that the rifle had no free bore and all your COAL's from the manuals had the bullets seated 0.001 off the lands. I'm assuming you are talking in inches so one thou of the lands? You said you set the bullet depth to have them 0.10 off the lands, 100 thou in inches? That's pretty excessive if you are in inches even just to start load development?
Are we inches or mils?

Less than 1" grouping at 400 yards that would be phenomenal if not impossible accuracy from a sporting rifle. Do you mean less than minute of angle at 400 yards?

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Good man!

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
NBRSA take note = we have a new champ?

Big Grin

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not every good shooter plays the games.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Not every good shooter plays the games.

Thank you.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Nice to see you have got your rifle shooting but can you clarify a couple of things; you say that the rifle had no free bore and all your COAL's from the manuals had the bullets seated 0.001 off the lands. I'm assuming you are talking in inches so one thou of the lands? You said you set the bullet depth to have them 0.10 off the lands, 100 thou in inches? That's pretty excessive if you are in inches even just to start load development?
Are we inches or mils?

Less than 1" grouping at 400 yards that would be phenomenal if not impossible accuracy from a sporting rifle. Do you mean less than minute of angle at 400 yards?

that should be 0.010 off the lans and I will not coment on my shooting of a sniper rifle.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member