New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with Forster Bullet Puller
 Login/Join

<BusPilot>
posted
I'm sure it's operator error, but I can't get the collet to grab the 240 gr LSWC .44 Mag bullet no matter how I adjust it according to the instructions. Anyone tried one of these?

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Threw it in the garbage and got out the Channellocks.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The collet pullers don't work very well on pistol cartriges. There isn't enough bullet base exposed for the collet to grab. Use an inertia puller for pistol rounds. The collet pullers work best on rifle cartridges where there is enough of the bearing surface of the bullet exposed for the collet to grab.

I love my Forster collet puller.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can try running the round through your seater-no crimp. Seat the bullet a hair bit deeper to loosen the crimp. I agree with the others, the collet pullers are better suited for rifle bullets.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beaumont, tx | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've resorted to vise grips on my cast bullet pistol rounds, and throw the bullets back in the casting pot. I've never used an impact puller, and use a collet puller on rifle bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BusPilot>
posted
Gents: Thanks for your replies. I wish I'd researched pullers a little more before I put the money out for one--that doesn't work!

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!