Speer Vs. Hornady
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted
Speer: 69 Gr. BTHP MatchKing
Vs.
Harnady: 68 Gr. BTHP Match

The targets are my own (obviously) design. I like them this way so I can file them easier. In any event, the targets are made up of standard 8 ½ X 11 stock paper divided into two targets (upper & lower). All of the upper targets on each sheet were Speer bullets and the lower targets were Hornady. I mixed the targets to show that the results were the same regardless of powder used. I used IMR 4895, Win. 748, R15 and Varget. When I develop my loads I always begin at the starting point and end at the max charge point. When using several powders I can have as much as 200 rounds to take to the range. This time I had twice the amount because I was also comparing bullets side by side using the same powder, charge weight, case, primer and OAL. The results here are clear and substantial that Speer out performed Hornady’s bullet by a considerable margin. I understand that it may be the gun, but I’ve never seen such a lop-sided result. None of the targets shown are very impressive but as I moved up slightly in velocity I punched a .35 five shot group with 748 24.5 grains. I repeated the load twice with the same results and settled on this one as shown below. The Hornady performed even worse. Has anyone here seen such a dramatic diff in the same line-up?

Below is what I'm staying with. Win 748 24.5 grains @ 2870 Fps. .35

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's nice.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:

That's nice.

Perhaps, but wtf? Have you ever seen such a lop-sided difference?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used such exacting standards when developing a load but I have an older Ruger M77 in 25/06 that I have found will only shoot Speer bullets with good accuracy, as in -.6" groups with the Speer and +2" with anything else I tried including Hornady. I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets and like them but I will use what works.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was developing loads for Service Rifle Competition the Hornady 68gr Match was much more accurate than the Sierra 69gr Match bullet at 200 and 300 yards...

However at 600 I used the 69 Sierra, as its BC was better at that distance.

This was before the days of the 75 and 80gr .223 Match bullets.

The 75gr JLK bullet worked great at 600.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
When I was developing loads for Service Rifle Competition the Hornady 68gr Match was much more accurate than the Sierra 69gr Match bullet at 200 and 300 yards...

However at 600 I used the 69 Sierra, as its BC was better at that distance.

This was before the days of the 75 and 80gr .223 Match bullets.

The 75gr JLK bullet worked great at 600.

I only use my .223 out to 500 yards and go to my .308 out to 800 and to the .338 for the rest. I haven't had any luck with the heavier bullets but then I limited my testing and those ranges where they become more effective. So I settled on the 69/68 grain groups (which is limited). Your post just goes to show you that down-range ballistics take over your selection for close range work or perhaps just unavailing how frustrating developing a load is? bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
i done almost the same test with my .260 rem. but not as many rounds as you shot. I could not get a speer 120 to group for a hunting round. i got much better accuracy with sierra and nosler bil. tip. i tried 4064 varget RL-15 IMR4350 & W-760. nothing worked. but the speer shoots real good in the 25-06 i load for..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
i done almost the same test with my .260 rem. but not as many rounds as you shot. I could not get a speer 120 to group for a hunting round. i got much better accuracy with sierra and nosler bil. tip. i tried 4064 varget RL-15 IMR4350 & W-760. nothing worked. but the speer shoots real good in the 25-06 i load for..

It's just the wack-e-ness of the sport. I think it's like trying ti figure out women! Nothing practical makes sense, ya have to just keep trying different variables?

one of us
posted Hide Post
WhatThe

You are correct, down range ballistics are very important.

Another example with the 308.
When factory ammo was called for.

Federal 168 Match works great anytime to 800 yards. Many times it does not stay supersonic at 1000. So we would shoot the old Military 7.62 Match, with the 172gr bullet at 900 and 1000, because it always stayed supersonic.

I did get some Hertenberger factory Match loaded with the 190 Sierra, that shot good at 1000.

But of course now, we have the 175gr Factory match ammo.

Compared to Women, figuring out ammo is easy. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havent done a extensive comparison as you at one range session with hornys and speers.
Just had shot alot of speers years ago had beter accuracy with hornadays. But I shot some reloads with some old speers .270 a few weeks ago because I ran out of horndays and the speers were very accurate. I was thinking I should order some more speers. I pretty much buy Hornadays last few years. Next order I plan on a batch or sierras too.
Could be psychological too. Maybe you just wanted the speers to be more accurate so subconsciously you shot the speers beter bewildered Cool

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WAs I the only one who noticed, that Speer doesn't make a 69 Grain Match King?

That its a Sierra Product...

not criticizing anyone, but just think if comparisons are going to be made, then at least we should be comparing the right company products..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
WAs I the only one who noticed, that Speer doesn't make a 69 Grain Match King?

There's always someone that has to rain on my parade. Yep your right and I'm a retard! I noticed it a while after I posted it and was wondering how long it might take before someone spilled the beans. Kinda like my posts on "how many grains in a pound", I still don't think anyone has checked it out? But in this post, it was a Sierra 69er, I believe that Speer's match is only a 52 or 55, not sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you have to buy some speer bullets and do your test over Cool

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
Now you have to buy some speer bullets and do your test over Cool

Actually, I'm done. Got a .35 from sierra's 69er. Groups in at about 4.2 out @ 400 yards. Nice bullet. Thanks for your advanced sympathy though!

one of us
posted Hide Post
i thouhgt sierra was the only one to use the name "MATCH KING " does speer ues it to.??

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote