New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help w/ New Toy - 7mm-08 AI w/ Tight Neck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a new toy at a local pawn shop chambered in 7mm-08 Ackley Improved w/ a .312" neck (as nicely engraved on the barrel). I plan to use it as a stand rifle on our Texas whitetails as well as just play with this arrangement of rifle. It's built on a trued short Rem 700 action w/ a Holland recoil lug, 24" Shilen fluted heavy benchrest SS barrel, Sako style extractor, Shilen trigger all nicely bedded in an HS Precision stock. I am a very experieced handloader but have never dealt with a tight necked rifle. What method and tools (manufacturers too) are best utilized to get this thing shooting?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Ed,
My solution entails a lot of work, but turning the case necks too a thickness of .013" will solve your problem. Should also help improve accuracy. I hope this is of some help. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
www.sinclair.com

www.benchrest.com forum
and

www.benchrest.com/sst Haydens Shooters Supplies. This is a good outfit and they'll answer your questions.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua makes .308 brass, I would get 100 of those, a Sinclair turner with 7mm mandrel, a Mititoyo ball end 90 degree micrometer.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote