Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Polishing
 Login/Join

posted
Is there any way to polish brass short of tumbling/vibrating?
The reason I ask is because I reload very few at a time.
Also is it important to resize 'clean' brass?

Thank you,
Beryl

No Avitar

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I resize then clean.
Bob338 offered this from a brass cleaning thread in '03
quote:
recommended by the NRA and Frankford Arsenal, which is a quart of white vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. Dip the brass, agitate lightly for about 20 minutes and all tarnish and residue will loosen and disappear. Rinse thoroughly with water, dry and go forward. If real old, beware of hardening of the brass from toxic chemical reaction from airborne agents. You might want to consider annealing the cases.

do a forum search on brass cleaning. You'll find something that is right for you.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I could afford a tumbler I used brasso. It does a real nice job and good for a guy that does not shoot a 100 every weekend.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

You just saved me a great deal of work. Several years ago I was gifted by several thousand rounds of .308 and 9mm brass used in traing exercises by the USMC at Quantico. It was pretty dirty but sound, not any corrosion. Your recipe beats my previous efforts by a lot. I will be able to bring a lot of scagened brass to a useful state.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.I'm going to try your methods.

Beryl

No Avitar