THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is barrel resination/vibration linked to bullet velocity?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is barrel resination/vibration linked to bullet velocity?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reloading for about a year, but haven't taken time to develope any loads until I got my 300 win mag. I know that different charges of powder will create better accuracy because it is in tune with the barrel ressinance. Is this purely dependent on the speed of the bullet?
I have this idea that I'ld like someone to confirm or disprove.

Given all components are identically accurate: if I find an accurate load, say a 150 gr bullet at 3200 fps, is it safe to say that any weight bullet of equal accuracy should shoot just as accurate as long as the velocity is kept the same creating the same barrel vibrations?

Feel free to elaborate or menstion any other effects I'm not taking into consideration.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you change any component at all you will change the barrel harmonics (vibrations)and it is then a crapshoot as to how it will shoot. Every load you put together is a new start from an accurracy standpoint. Sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time it will shoot differently. Chamber pressures probably have more input than bullet speed, but everything matters as a whole.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.Looks like there's no short cuts for different weight bullets.
Generally, if you use the same weight bullet with the same charge, would they be very close at all in the accuracy department, or will the slight differences in bullet design also make make accuracy a work in progress?

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this sounds logical, but it is not safe to assume that. There is no substitute for shooting them to find out and that is a good thing, lots of shooting. You are reloading now, so load and shoot, then repeat.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Woodrow is right, matching vel. has litle to do w/ the accuracy. I have seen this several times when working up loads w/ a new cart. Even if you can achieve the exact vel. using two or three diff. powders, the pressures inside the bbl. will be diff. for each load depending on the burn rate of the powder. Example, RL22 & IMR7828 are very close in burn rate. From my 280, nothing shoots better groups w/ vel. than the 7828.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Here is a artical on this if you are interested.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/barrel.htm

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote