Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? for Co-ax users
 Login/Join

posted
I just received my new Co-ax press along with a lot of other reloading equipment, since this is my first attempt at reloading I have a question on the operation of the press not covered in the manual or on Forster's website. I am reloading for a Browning Mk II safari .30-06 auto and was highly encouraged by forum members to get the RCBS small base dies for that gun. I have the dies setup and after checking the completed rounds on my Forster case/bullet runout gauge they are absolutely beautiful (far less than .001 runout at the bullet [Smile] ), but the problem is that every time I bring the handle to the uppermost position, the top of the die (both the sizer and seater dies) catches on the primer block itself and it takes some wiggling of the die and handle to get the die to clear the block and then the outer edge of the die still rubs against the block as I finish returning the handle to the stop position. The press itself is a work of art and is beautifully engineered and I have read and researched extensively to try to solve this problem (more like a major pain in the rear) to no avail. As I stated earlier I am a total newbie and appreciate any feedback from experienced Co-ax users.

Reagrds,
Damn Yankee

Posts: 21 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Yankee, please refer to the "parts for Bonanza co-ao loading press"(p.12, I believe) for a more accurate description. I can find no reference to a "primer block" on the description page.

Does the die "wobble" when installed in the press? Are you using the cross-bolt locking rings, or the rings that came with the dies? Will they(the cross-bolt rings)fit S/B dies? Locking rings should measure 1-3/8"X.3125, and are intended for 7/8"X14 dies.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
packrat,

On the back page of the manual it's item #17 called a Shellholder Jaw Block (where the case is placed to do the priming-hence my reference to it as the "primer block".

I am using the Forster cross-bolt lock rings that came with the press(there is no wobble in the die, it is just placed in the slot and then clears the little detent ball to lock in), the RCBS rings are stowed away.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS dies in mine along with Forster, Redding, Lyman and Hornady and have plenty of clearance with all of them. I wonder if your "block" is installed or machined in reverse. The block is drilled off center where it conects to the ram and if it is reversed it could be forward enough to rub the die when operating the press.
There is a groove on top of the block that the shell holder jaws seat in. Mine has a ridge on both sides of the grove that measures .200 on the front and .420 on the rear. If your block has the larger ridge in front I believe you`ve found the problem.

Hope this helps................

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked my Co-Ax press and the only way I see the "primer block" could touch one of the dies is if it was mounted on the press backwards.
When you get ready to prime the case it should slide in from the front. The 3 "feet" that hold the case down should be on both sides and at the rear of the case. There sould be ample clearance between the die body and the "primer block" if it is attached to the press shafts in the correct manner.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DamnYankee, I think your shell holder jaw block is installed backwards. When priming, one places the case in from the handle grip(front)side. Looking downward at the top of the block, there is a wide and narrow side to it; the narrow side should be forward(facing the user)

Now, check all of the set screws on the connecting linkage, as well as everywhere else, and lubricate it.

Even the largest dies I have clear the shell holder block by a 1/4".

Hope this is helpful.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Problem solved, it was on backwards, I had looked at that initially but thought that there was no way they would have shipped it out backwards (must have been built on a Mon or Fri [Smile] )

Thanks everybody!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the old Bonanza presses for years and it was the best design for a press I've ever used. If you load for several calibers, no digging for shellholders, plus the dies kind of float and align themselves with the case for perfect alignment. The other beautiful thing is that the dies are adjusted once, then just pop them in and out. Mine was stolen along with about half a race car from my shop, I couldn't find a Bonanza (I think they were in between the time Forster picked it up) so I bought an RCBS and just can't make myself buy another when I have a good press.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
Mine was stolen along with about half a race car from my shop.

I wonder if the lowly thieves even knew what the Co-Ax was. It kinda looks like it could be a part of a race car, now that I think about it.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote