New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: reloaded .30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd say you are getting excellent performance and with a bit more experience in wind doping you have found your load. My favorite load is 57.5 grains of AA 4350 under Sierra's 165 grain Gameking hollow point which seems a bit tougher than Speer's 165 grain BTSP and maybe some better for elk. This is my rifles most accurate load. Second being the 180 grain Speer hotcor spitzer and 59 grains of H4831 and this is my elk load. I use Winchester cases and Winchester magnum primers. Supposedly the magnum primers are better for cold temperatures like Wyoming has in October. I suspect once your cases are fired in your rifle they will chamber a bit easier.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Chances are that your bolt closes hard on those reloads due to minute differences in your chambers. But there is another possibility, it may be that your friend failed to trim the necks and they could be longer than they are supposed to be, if that is the case then you are on dangerous ground as a neck that is too long can cause the bullet to pinch in the throat with the excess neck and cause some bad pressure spikes.

Most reloaders only use their own and dont load for other people with a few exceptions, I think that a good policy.

If you wish to continue to use your friends loads I would reccomend that you make sure they are trimmed to length and full length resized. When that is done they should feed freely in any properly chambered rifle.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted Hide Post
shade;im with Fred338 all the way.Never never fire reloads chambered for someone elses rifle in your rifle.If he allowed you to do this I would be a little cautious about his reloading technique including his F/L resizing of that brass.Do yourself a favour and buy a good reloading manual and make that your bible.Hot reloads are always good fun, just make sure you can read the brass signs to know when to stop.Enjoy.

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Some times the expander will drag the neck a scosh forward.
Tell the guy to lube the inside of the case neck then try again.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Chances are that your bolt closes hard on those reloads due to minute differences in your chambers. But there is another possibility, it may be that your friend failed to trim the necks and they could be longer than they are supposed to be, if that is the case then you are on dangerous ground as a neck that is too long can cause the bullet to pinch in the throat with the excess neck and cause some bad pressure spikes.

Most reloaders only use their own and dont load for other people with a few exceptions, I think that a good policy.

If you wish to continue to use your friends loads I would reccomend that you make sure they are trimmed to length and full length resized. When that is done they should feed freely in any properly chambered rifle.

I did shoot the rounds that he had loaded for me. I shot the first round and I suppose that I was ready to have the gun blow up in my face. After firing the shell I reloaded it into the chamber of my rifle and everything went really well. The bolt closed with the same amount of effort as when there isnt a shell in it.
Prior to just shooting the round we (The guy that reloaded the shells and myself) did a marker die on 10 of the shells to insure me that there wasn't anything scraping into my guns chamber hitting or being smashed by chambering the round. The empty brass are the exact same length as the remmington factory loads I shot when I first put on my scope. I am happy with the loads and for now I am building my supply of brass for him to reload until I can get started reloading my own.

Thank you all for the information of what I should watch for and all. I was pretty nervous about having him reload shells for me until I was able to ask him the pointed questions from this forum and he was able to let me know they were viable questions and gave me his answers. While I didn't shoot targets, reloads, 30-06, or scope, he has been doing this for over 25 years, and does have a lot of practise. He did tell me he wouldn't have allowed me to shoot them if he didn't feel they were safe loads for my gun.
I understand a bit more of why he made me bring my rifle to his place, and chamber rounds and measured my bullets tested and checked all the things he did, and why they are all so important.

I wasn't really happy about the performance of my shooting skills though. I suppose that with some practise I will get better. Now I am still nervous about things, and have more to consider, but am determind to get the shots down to less than 4 inches at 300 yards.