Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic programs
 Login/Join

<jack1k>
posted
I just received my Ohler 35 (minus printer), and
I need a ballistic explorer program to run drop charts, etc. Which program should I buy? I researched the different chronographs, but not the different programs available.

The Ohler has three skyscreen on a two foot bar.
Do you need all three screens on the 2'er? I plan to build a longer setup, probably an 8' (plus a few extra inches for spacing the bar). They can be spaced from 2 to 15 ft ( one foot increments). Ohler recomends using 1/2 metal conduit, and you have to be very precice setting up the distances you want to use. I'll also use a 4' for ease of setting up the unit. I'll use 4,
6, and 8' spacing. Anyone that uses different spacings, email me with the pro/cons of the different spacings. Ohler recomends using a one piece bar, and the only metal conduit (1/2" dia)I can find is 10'.

thanks
jack1k

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I use PointBlank.

It has an open source bullet, primer, and powder data base. Does graphic and textual trajectories, calculates group sizes, and prints all onto a single page for record keeping. Calculates point blank ranges, TKO, muzzle energy, ballistic coefficients. It also has a built in firearms database for record keeping.

Best of all it's free!!

Here's the link:

Point Blank

-Steve

[ 07-29-2003, 20:01: Message edited by: Steve ]

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of ballistic programs at http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm.

Try a few and see which one you like the best...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my Oehler with a total 4' screen spacing. The accuracy difference in 4' and 8' is negligible. Actually, if you go as long as 8', the 1/2 inch aluminum conduit, if not supported on each end, might bend enough to affect the functional spacing of the sky screens, so the shorter spacings may actually be better. A two or four foot length of conduit is stiff enough when only supported in the middle, and it's much handier than an eight foot length.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote