New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green stuff all over my brass!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While I was looking for rounds to guage the run out today, I found a box of Remington 270 in which several rounds had green stuff all over them. This was similar to that green stuff that gets on brass with exposure to leather; however, the brass was in plastic holders in a box that showed no staining. It looks as though it "ate" through from the inside. Several other pieces have it around the bullet at the neck and around the primer. The box may have been in a range box I had that had some cleaning materials in it, but there is no staining of any sort.

Got any ideals what caused this? And what is the name of that green stuff with the leather? Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You didn`t happen to get some hoppes or other cleaner in your mag, fail to wipe it out well and put unfire rounds away that were contaminated by it?? I had a round turn color once that I chambered and put away instead of firing while breaking in a barrel. The cleaner worked on the case & bullet, I didn`t get it all out of the front of the chamber when I cleaned was all I could figure.

The green stuff you get from leather contact is corrosion from the tanning acids.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude... It is copper chloride and copper sulfate, caused by open elements in the air. In old France its name *verdigris* was simplified, meaning "the green of Greece" Greeks oftan covered copper in crushed grapes to form this patina, it was then scraped off and formed into a pigment.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I came across the same thing recently and wondered how the green got on nickel-plated cases. After scratching my chin a few times it dawned on me--I got sloppy with my gun cleaning chemicals. It ruined the lens on my Maglite too. I can't pinpoint which one is the culprit although Barnes CR-10 is the likely suspect.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has the exposure made shooting the ammo dangerous? A couple of the pieces are really green, and there looks like there is a liquid component to the condition of the brass around the bullet and primer on a couple of pieces, although not green? Ku-dude

Thanks-it was verdigis that I was searching for. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its generaly toxic...though I have handled the stuff and aint dead. Ammo is cheap toss the stuff is what I would do. You never know if the powder has been breached and a hangfire is not worth it.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
The ones I've found got a quick cleaning, and a vissual check for obvious corrosion and were fired. All fired, except once, "click". Be sure to check for bore obstructions, if the gun does not go bang. A bullet stuck in the bore could make life interesting, and maybe short.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had the same "green" situation with some .35 Remington brass he used in his Contender. He decided to use it, only to have the case separate at the neck/shoulder junction, the neck stuck in the chamber.

After getting the mess out, he tried another! Yup, same thing happened (luckily, that was all).

"If in doubt, throw it out" - it's much cheaper than replacing a finger or eye!

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote