THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Rem mag + 180 nosler ballistic tips?
 Login/Join

<Matt77>
posted
I got 50 of these things. The loads they give are in IMR powders. I am in a pickle. I have Rl-25 to work with, but no 4831. Anyone try this yet? anyone have any suggestions? I called nosler and they didn't help. Heck, I'd call Sierra and ask, but sometimes they seem a little like, "hurry up, you're the 1002 person I've talked to today, and I'm stressed and going to hang myself on lunch break." So, i don't frequently bother them with questions.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Easy my friend! RL 25 is a bit slower than IMR 7828. So start with the reccomended 7828 load and work up. Also I use to load my 220 Sierras at 83 gr of RL25 in my custom 8mm mag. So I am thinking that 85gr of RL 25 is easily within acceptable parameters for a bullet that weighs 40 grs less.....

------------------
"If guns are outlawed...only outlaws will have guns!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
thanks Pop, I love my 8mm Rem Mag, and although it's not popular, I say, people don't know what they're missing. With those 180's, it's make a 300 Rum 180 grain run for the hills. Not as flat as a 300 win or tough as the 338 they say, phew, to heck with "them." It's a fast, accurate, and unique cartridge that I'll always keep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

That 8mm with 180 Nosler B.T.'s and a case stuffed full of RL-25 ought to be a real stomper for muleys, black bear, etc. Maybe a little fragile for elk, but I'll bet it wouldn't work that badly on them either. The 8mm Magnum is an overlooked cartridge that is as modern as anything out there, but I guess suffered from lack of really good bullets for a number of years.

Have fun!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<WSJ>
posted
I went to the Accurate Arms website and e-mailed them for info on RL-25 for 200 & 220 gr. 8 mag loads. They responded with some suggested loads within a day or two. -WSJ