Find
Notify
Tools

What is Longshot good for?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I saw a pound all by itself on a local gun store shelf and bought it, thinking it was the one I wanted to try in the .458 SOCOM. Wrong. That was Lil Gun. Looking at burn rates, Longshot is a bit slower than Blue Dot and a bit faster than 2400, so I am sure it will have some handgun applications. I don't load for shotgun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In use, Longshot is nowhere near as slow as the tables say it is. Having used it in 41 and 44 magnums, plus 45 Colt, it's loads show a burn rate between Unique and HS6, very close to Herco, Power Pistol or Silhouette. Not as case filling as Unique or Herco, but more bulky than the ball powders. I have found good midrange to upper midrange loads in all the above calibers. It seems a little smokier than some powders with lead bullets.
Some of my most accurate loads are:
45 Colt 11.0gr 200-225gr bullet @ 1100 fps (5" bbl. Ruger Only)
44 mag 10.5gr 265gr SWC bullet @ 1025 fps (4" bbl.)
41 mag 10.5gr 210gr SWC bullet @ 1200 fps (4-5/8" bbl.)

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've used HS6 and Longshot in 44Mag with 240gr.

44Mag - 240JSP - Longshot - 12gr
44Mag - 240JSP - HS6 - 14.5gr

These cycle my Desert Eagle.

I'll get chrono tonight.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a terrific 12 ga fast load hunting load powder. And I use it in 28 and 20 gauge as well. Never have tried it in any metallic cartridges.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the manufacturer publish loading data for this powder?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doc, Alliant does publish data, but it is inconclusive at best.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longshot is a Hodgdon powder.

Posts: 26 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 08 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jsn, you are absolutely right. I don't know why I thought it was an Alliant powder. There are so many now that this aging Baby Boomer has lost track.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you there.
I'm kind of a powder follower and like to know how they react in different situations.

I started to keep up with the new stuff, but it comes and goes so fast, and it just keeps on coming and coming.
I gave up on most of it.

anyway I played around with longshot in the 12ga some years back, and it really does throw stuff out at impressive speeds.
an ounce and a quarter of high antimony 6's or 4's at about 1450 fps would have made for some impressive shots in the marsh back in the day.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote