Notify
Tools

Run Out?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please, what does the phrase "run out" mean

in reloading. I read about guys talking about

"run out" and talking about .001" or .002".

Is it the bullet creeping out of the neck, or

deeper into the neck being "run in"?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It relates to measuring the wobble of a bullet at 90 degrees to the length of a cartridge. It's taken with some sort of dial indicator while the loaded round is rotated in "V" blocks or other means of holding the shell. Such as this pic of my RCBS case center.

You can see that .223 round had .002 run out.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingNice illustrated explitive,Grizz! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grizz,

You said it's measuring the wobble of the bullet.

Based on the pic's I am taking this to mean how

less than perfectly straight the bullet is pro-

truding as compared to the imaginary perfectly

straight line perfectly centered. Have I got it?

If yes, how did that degree of "non-straightness"

come to be known as "RUN OUT"?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, you got it! As for the term, it's pretty much a standard in the machining industry to describe a "less that straight condition". It has migrated over to reloading to be a short cut to say the bullet is off the perfectly straight line down the center of the cartridge.

Lots of things affect it, the brass case itself has to be straight, the bullet and case neck have to be both held in alignment while being pressed together to produce straight ammo.

Usually this requires a precision seater, those are made by Forster and Redding. Don't waste your money on the RCBS seater though. In-line seaters made by some other companies use an arbor press to hand seat the bullets, most often seen used for bench-rest guns.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK grizz. Thanks for the assistance; I had been quite in the dark. wave

Jack