THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Manuals say Max . . I'm over but no signs of pressure?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manuals say Max . . I'm over but no signs of pressure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In other rifles I own, I have exceeded maximum listed powder charges by 2 or 3 grains. By then I usually start seeing signs of pressure. I have a M70 7mm STW that this is not the case.

My Nosler Manual says 78grs. of H1000 is max in my 7STW with a 160gr. bullet. The Sierra manual says 80.3grs of H1000 is max. I am shooting 82grs. of H1000 with no signs of pressure.
I have measured a factory round just ahead of the belt and one of my loads is slightly less. The primers look fine, no different than a factory round fired out of my rifle.
I am sure I must be close to maximum in my rifle. Should I increase my powder charges any more to find a maximum load in my rifle or leave it be?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Each loading manual lists the bullet, powder and primer used in the loads they "suggest" as they all have a very important bearing on pressure (as well as a lot of other things).
Are you using the same components? The same weight bullet? etc.

How does the velocity you are getting compare to the velocity listed in the manuals you are looking at? I assume you have a chronograph or at least access to one...if not you should stay away from trying to reach "max" loads and if you are happy with the performance of the load you list, why would you want to go higher and chance stressing the rifle?

Finally, unless you have a very good micrometer and are experienced in using it, I would suggest you not rely on case head expansion to check pressure.

Posts like yours make me a little nervous as up give the impression of inexperience with respect to reloading and the combination of inexperience and a thirst for "max" velocity can be a recipe for load noises and bad things.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
If you are at the listed velocity you are maxed.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gaining a extra 100 fps over hurting or destroying your rifle is it worth it a sure the game you hit well never know the diff.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Measuring pressure rings on brass is not a good indicator of pressure. No 2 lots or even any 2 rounds from the same lot are identical in composition and temper. You are only measuring that round in your chamber; all chambers are different etc.. The A-Square manual argues this point well. Without a pressure gun one is really guessing. And, of course, accuracy is of more import than velocity.

<1LoneWolf>
posted
Daryl D,

Easiest indicator of pressure, is the velocity of a given load, with the components listed.

You have to have a Chrony. Everything has variations.

Another safety point, make sure the barrel length you are checking against, say Nosler lists a 24 inch velocity, if you are shooting a 22 inch, you should be a little slower at max than the 24 is.

Nosler has a decent section on pressure in their reloading manual.

The micrometer, although it can give you information, it isn't easy to use properly on such a critical measurement as .0005s. You do need a very good mic to get readings that will tell you the "truth" on pressure.

Get a chrony, stick to the velocity listed as max. If you need more speed, take a step up in caliber, you'll be safier, and it is an excuse to buy another rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a chrony of some sort, you might want to consider one. they are really nice to have when you start working-up off the page. When you see your fps gain from the powder increase start to flatten out, you are at the practical max for that gun with that powder. While I do not like to motor my rifles at the top end, I do like to know where it is.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your results are not unusual but you put us on the spot to recommend using over max loads as so many varibles are involved...I have a caliber that I normally load 6 grs. over book max and get zilch expansion because of the long throat in my gun...

Many books play it safe in these days of law suits and I don't blame them for that, but you cannot depend on that. The difference in the old reloading books I have and the new ones will bear out this information....

What one has to do is know what he is doing and depend on that..A micrometer is mans best friend.

When loading for the new super poopers like the STW and others your playing with dynamite and I have seen a lot of actions with developed headspace and factory ammo is being cut back quitely as a result of the beginning overloading, and guess what you can safely get 7 mag velocities when its all said and done...Hype sells America in the gunworld.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I've found the "max" for that caliber and that bullet weight to be 80 grains of H-1000 with Federal 215 primers (at all altitudes and temperatures).

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

Yes, I am somewhat inexperienced. So what is the big deal? That is why I posted this question on this excellent forum. I was confident that I would get sound advice and I did. I do appreciate your advice, none the less.
I have been handloading for over 20 years but nowhere near as serious or as much as most members here do. Enough though, that I can usually recognize beginning signs of pressure.
Speed is not the most important thing to me, but if I am not near max loads in my 7STW then I might as well be shooting a 280 Rem.(Save your comments on that one)
When working up a load for my 7 R.M. using H1000 I found that I ended up 2 grains over listed maximum. Any more than that, I started seeing signs of pressure and my groups started opening up. My most accurate load was 2 grains over max. I know every gun is unigue or different. This is just an example.
In my M70 7mmSTW, I have worked my way up using several different powders and different bullets. In all cases, I have reached maximum recommended loads listed in several manuals and exceeded some. I get good accuracy and see no change in accuracy from lighter loads to max loads in this rifle. I see no indications of pressure either.
I Agree that I am putting you guys on the spot for asking if I should increase my charges till I see signs of pressure. I did just purchase a chronograph to help me indicate when I have reached max. velocity. I just have not had a chance to use it yet. I thought I would post this question anyhow.
Ray is correct. I do have a very long throat in this gun. I think this is why I have not seen any signs of pressure even though I am over max. listed loads.
For now I will stick to what I am at until I chrony my loads and see where I am at before I decide what to do.
I have found that I have been reloading and shooting a whole lot more since I started frequenting this website. I am sure I will have more questions as well. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.
Thank you all for your advice,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote