New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulk 30 cal 168gr bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has found any .308" 168gr boat tail bullets for a decent price? Prefferably FMJ, but all would be considered. Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought Sierra 168 gr. Matchking bullets at Ebay a couple of times at good prices. I've noticed a lot of FMJ .308 bullets sold in bulk from time to time but never purchased any.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check with Jeff Bartlett at
www.gibrass.com

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott, I like quite a few of the 168gr bullets from different manufacturers when it comes time to see who is going to buy the BBQ for supper. Kind of hard to actually pick between the Hornady, Nosler, Speer and Sierra brands. Just have to see what shoots best in the rifle and then the others are just used for practice.

But, the most inexpensive alternative I've used is the plain old 165gr Rem CL. It is a Flat Base, but I don't see much difference for the Point-of-Impact at 400yds or 500yds either. There is some difference, but if a person can't write the difference in "Clicks" down for different Loads, then they really just need to shoot a lot closer.

The bad part is some Lots of the 165gr Rems are very accurate and some leave a bit to be desired. Same for the 150gr Rem CLs. No way to know until you try them.

I've been using some 147gr FN-FAL FMJs and they are without a doubt the most consistent and well manufactured FMJs I've ever messed with.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Golden West Brass 2301 Chico Ave.#5 South El Monte CA.91733

626-454-4585 168gr. fmjbt was $55.00/1000 shoots good in at least three of my rifles. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get 500 count boxes of 168 Sierra MK for $16.50/hundred delivered from OK Webber using the Sierra Drop Ship program. The down side is that you must order $1000 worth of bullets and have them delivered to a FFL holder.

Years ago I tried loading up some of the Winchester 147 FMJ bullets for practice, and they weren't worth the time to reload them. The IMI bullets are much better, but they're $11.00/100 at Wideners. By the time you're spending this much, I figured out that I ws better off in the long run just to spend a few extra $$$ a hundred and shoot match bullets for practice and across the course.

I did take a peek at Golden West Brass http://www.22rimfire.org/GoldenWest/GoldenWestWEB/BULLETS.htm

If the bullets shoot well, they're a heck of a deal.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote