New
Find
Notify
Tools

50/110 loading info?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a Kerr SXS in 50/110. although marked just .550 EX, it's a 50/110 (Kerr was Winchester's agent!). Now it seems loading info is a bit short, but I do have several cast bullets and Barnes, plus Woodleighs. Has anyone got some spare loads, they don't have to be hot as this is any older double. Thanks, ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Here's some data for you:

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it's much appreciated, Muskeg Man. ~Arctic~

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
NP

I should mention these loads were developed for the Win M1886. The article it came from notes that the original M1895 (using BP) was loaded around 28 kpsi. The hottest loads here run about 40 kpsi. So, the loads indicated "express load" or "factory load" are the 28 kpsi. Not sure what your double rifle will handle.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the steel used in the barrel you might consiter sticking with cast or paper patch bullets. Jacketed bullets can be tough on old soft steel barrels. Hot smokeless loads may lossen up your rifle.

I enjoy black powder. 100 gr of black and all the appropriate black powder loading procedures will make a formadible load. Cast bullet, or paper patch, SPG lube, card wad, drop tube powder, magnum primer. It will perform and not hurt your gun. You will not be able to significantly flatten your trajectory with smokeless. Smokeless can be problimatic in such a large case. You can not get a better game bullet than pure lead paper patch, at the velocities we are talking about. Hey, all tht smoke is fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried the Express load with 4198 and the Barnes 300 grainer, .......4 shots in 1 1/4"! There were actually 2 groups, both cloverleafs, not bad for a side by side, let alone one 120 years old.
I've got to get busy and cast up a few to try, just won't push luck with any heavy loads.
Thanks again for the loads Muskeg. ~Arctic~