New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Case Trimmer Improvement
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellow Members: Many of our forum members utilize the Lee Case Trimmer system for trimming their cases. The simplicity and consistency of the Lee system is quite attractive. The ability to easily motorize the system with an electric drill or screwdriver is also an attractive feature to some.

I personally trim by hand, as I usually only work on small batches of shells at one time. Although I have been quite pleased overall with the Lee system, I have found that holding the lock stud/shellholder by hand while trimming can be difficult and a little rough on the hands. So, I came up with the following solution which others who trim by hand may find useful.

I obtained a wooden round ball from the local craft store and drilled a hole in it just slightly smaller than the diameter of the stud on the lock stud. A dap of epoxy in the hole and some gentle persuasion with a hammer affixed the lock stud onto the ball:

If this looks familiar, it is probably because Lee offers the same type of ball grip for their cutter that attaches to the case length gauge. With a ball grip on the lock stud/shellholder, I find it much easier to grip the case while trimming.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pagris: Good idea. I think I'l try it. Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a stubby, magnetic 1/4" hex bit driver handle for mine. A stubby 1/4" nutdriver would work too. Or you could solder on a cheapo 1/4" box wrench.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I've problem with the photo.
I would like to see it, even if I think I've understand the described solution

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I used a golfball for handle.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the photo again - not sure why it disappeared:

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is how I like to use Lee case trimmers. The mini-lathe makes forming 7.65x53 out of 30-06 fun.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pagris, your pic host is at fault, I'd be switching if it did that to me.......twice! Try Photobucket ....have never had one problem with em and they're free.

http://photobucket.com/register.php

And while I'm at it, my way....power is a cordless screwdriver, not too fast, heavy or cumbersome, just right... Beats turning by hand!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got you all beat. I took an old pencil sharpener base, the handle from said pencil sharpener, a 3/8" drill chuck, a piece of threaded stud and a few nuts. I cobbled all this together into a small, hand-driven lathe into which I insert the Lee case-trimmer base and shell holder. For the actual trimming tool, I welded a 5/8 open-end wrench to the case trimmer at a right angle about 2-1/2 inches from the open end. I cut the box end off the wrench because I don't need it. I can lock a .223 case into the trimmer base, trim it, inside/outside chamfer the mouth and remove it in 24 seconds. It makes no noise and works like a blue streak. The wrench fits across the open throat of the shell holder and tightens it perfectly to keep the whole rig tight while I trim. The pencil sharpener base is screwed onto a piece of plywood which is bolted to my reloading bench. I can take the plywood off the bench in seconds and set my reloading block there when I charge cases.

I can also scrape the primer pocket with this thing, too. I open the jaw all the way, put the .223 case in mouth first, tighten the jaw until it's snug, then scrape out the crusty primer stuff with my RCBS small pocket brush. Takes just seconds and no need to loosen/tighten the chuck for every case-- just set until it's snug and pop 'em in, one after another. I also scrape out .357 cases in this little jewel. I also chamfer the crimped primer pockets of mil-surp cases with it. Truly, a great homemade tool that's sped-up my case prep immensely. I suppose I could use it to slightly flatten the points of hollow point bullets, which I have noticed are not consistent in the way they are finished at the very tip.

If I had a picture and a knew how to post what I've put together, I would.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote