Find
Notify
Tools

Norma 205
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was given 5 un-opened cans of N 205.
How close is it to Re 22 or Norma MRP in actual use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
its an old version of MRP...Bob Hagel used it a lot....you can use the same data for 205 as you use for MRP

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as with MRP, the lots of N205 tended to vary in burning rate moreso than most canister powders. Check to see if each 400 gm (about 53 gm short of a pound) canister is from the same lot. If not, be sure to work with those from each lot as if they may be somewhat different in burning rate.

I used up a canister of the old N205 a little while back in a .244 Remington where it did a splended job.

BE SURE NOT to use some of the old data floating around for HODGDON 205. It was a completely different powder with a somewhat faster burning rate.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is all the same lot, so a plus there.
I will try it in one of my 264 mags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one, just one, canister of N205 back in the 1970s which was absolutely magic in my .264. Velocities were excellent and pressures seemingly mild. When I used it up I went and bought another (different lot) and it not only expanded the case heads with the same loads, but velocity was lower. The second lot worked beautifully in a .30-06, however.

Cross your fingers that you've got a lot similar to my first one. If not, think in terms of using it in a cartridge with a smaller case or larger bore.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stonecreek,
I wonder if I might be better off trying some in a smaller case first, to check the burn rate?